How are microprocessors made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

I've been under the impression that microprocessors were "printed" on silicon sheets. However, if you watch this video you'll hear the old guy with the crazy hair describe them being "grown" like crystals.

While i can't imagine how that would be done, i also can't imagine how one would build a printer that could print "pixels" just a few atoms across.

Can someone please clarify?

This is an interesting question posted, Some one please explain to me too ^^. Do you know how a procesors proceses logic? Or, at least, don't care too much? If either of htose are true, it makes this post so much simpler. That and transistors.

Its very complicated and has hundreds of steps that involve alot of chemestry and tiny fine tuned manufactureing proceses. Starting with a tiny plate a shinyized silicon :). You might have seen them in the Intel core 2 duo comercials, the brass colored square's next to each other.

Basicly, im pretty sure, stuff is "grown" over them then the chunks are taken out of the stuff that is "grown" on the silicon and leaves a patern on the chip, which magicly know's how to think.

in this intel article, i hear they use silicon dioxide as an insulator which they cover the silicon chip in, then cover that in light sensitive material which is removed in magical paterns using laser stensils then the insulator is removed underneath. This is done over and over with insulators and conductors in a preprogramed sequence until boom...done. something that can process. really this is probably most of it.

Your question:
While i can't imagine how that would be done, i also can't imagine how one would build a printer that could print "pixels" just a few atoms across.

Your right it seems, apparently you can't control the materials fine enough, which is waht the light sensitive materials are used. A laser is shined through an ultra fine stincil to "etch it in"

Nice Post but any particular reason to know why to make a Chip. Want to try it on your own.

Anyways dont mean any offence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back