How bad are Celerons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Hey,

I am wanting to build a secondary rig to run Fedora Core 5, because my ancient Pentium 3 isn't cutting it. I am not interested in gaming on it. I am also wanting to get by as cheap as humanly possible, how bad would a Celeron be?

Celerons are fantastic CPUs for people who only have basic computer needs such as browsing or simply spreadsheet/word documents etc.

Are you building an entire new system, or simply upgrading a current system?

I have a gaming system with an Opteron 165. This is a seperate system I'm wanting to build to replace an old emachines pentium 3 i have. What motherboard would be fit to go with a budget system?

guess not so bad..

beedubaya said:
I am not interested in gaming on it. I am also wanting to get by as cheap as humanly possible
..then i belive that celeron will satisfy your need very well :)

beedubaya said:
I have a gaming system with an Opteron 165. This is a seperate system I'm wanting to build to replace an old emachines pentium 3 i have. What motherboard would be fit to go with a budget system?

Upgrading emachine motherboards can be tricky. You first need to find out if it is a standard motherboard you have in there. The older emachines use special connections from the PSU to the motherboard. In other words, you may not be able to pop just any old motherboard in there. Do some googling to find out if anyone has successfully installed a new motherboard in that case (using the stock power supply).

U can get dual-core Celerons too but that might not be necessary unless u need a budget solution to video encoding and the like.

DonNagual said:
Upgrading emachine motherboards can be tricky. You first need to find out if it is a standard motherboard you have in there. The older emachines use special connections from the PSU to the motherboard. In other words, you may not be able to pop just any old motherboard in there. Do some googling to find out if anyone has successfully installed a new motherboard in that case (using the stock power supply).

No, I'm going to scrap the emachines. I am building a new machines to REPLACE it. I'm not going to try to upgrade it because I know how factory brands use proprietary parts to make it extremely difficult if not impossible to upgrade.

The PSU is 150 watts for crying out loud! HP still uses only 250 watt supplies.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
U can get dual-core Celerons too but that might not be necessary unless u need a budget solution to video encoding and the like.

Uh...Dual Core Celerons? Dont get the Celeron D confused with the Pentium D. The "D" in celeron simply means it is built upon the Prescott Core.

Like DonNagual said, they're great budget CPUs for surfing the net and doing light office work and playing simple games. Definately a very good value CPU.

AtK SpAdE said:
Uh...Dual Core Celerons? Dont get the Celeron D confused with the Pentium D. The "D" in celeron simply means it is built upon the Prescott Core.
Yeah? I thought it was. Thanks for clearing up the confusion! Probably some bright guy at Intel who thought it up to make fools of consumers. Go AMD! :D

I personally think, as Don pointed out, that the Celeron is a GOOD processor not great, good. I am currently upgrading from my Celeron 2.4 Ghz and can't wait to be gone with it. Only because I am a gamer and movie guy at heart.

I am upgrading to a AMD Athlon 64 3800+

My father bought his AMD based E-Machines laptop last year, and to say the least, I was impressed. If you are upgrading, or building an entirely new PC, I would personally say, stay away from Celeron. Celeron is quickly being outdated and will soon be history.

Well, that's my two cents anyway..

Ummm ZeroCount he already has a gaming system so he needs this one to replace his old P3. I believe the Celeron can do that more than capably.:D

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Ummm ZeroCount he already has a gaming system so he needs this one to replace his old P3. I believe the Celeron can do that more than capably.:D

True dat, but I must put into spectrum my love for AMD :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back