How can I overclock my cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Anyone tell me how i can overclock my cpu ?

This my cpu information

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ORVILLE-PC
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2991 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.20, 6/28/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
User Name ORVILLE-PC\ORVILLE
Time Zone Dateline Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.50 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.49 GB
Available Physical Memory 925 MB
Total Virtual Memory 5.85 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.86 GB
Page File Space 3.42 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Well the only useful information there is your processor but still it isn't 100% sure of what it is, im guessing a P4 630, might be a 530. We need to know your mother board and know for sure what CPU you have. Try Everest, the trial version should tell you what you have then post back. Most of what you told us doesn't help.

Hi Michael,
Admuz is right, need more info on the processor and motherboard your using, im wondering though if your asking because your new to overclocking or its because your motherboard doesnt allow you any options for it. at any rate i would suggest you read up on OC'ing and the different methods and risks to achieve want you want from it. and download a temp monitor while you are doing it. If its because your bios doesnt afford you any options, there are software programs you can use to OC (although not the preferred method if you can avoid it) like Ntune. the good thing about a program like this is that it will OC for you and it Errs on the side of conservative. the simplest way is to slide your FSB five points at a time till it breaks and then back off until its stable. its simple but your OC will only go as high as your weakest link. anyway, if you want to provide some more info on your cpu and mobo i will be glad to help.

If you bought your computer from a store like Best Buy or something along those lines, you cannot overclock it. If you bought your computer from a company that builds computers like Dell, HP, Acer, etc, you cannot overclock it. The only way you CAN overclock it is if the computer was built for you by a custom building shop or if you built it yourself.

Hi Metal,
Have to disagree with ya on this one, I am in the same boat with my current machine, Its a HP SR1820NX from best buy as a matter of fact. the Mobo has been completely 'nuetered' and has no bios adjustments for OC'ing. although im not a big fan of sotware OC'ing ,I have managed to find software that has given me control everything from the FSB to V-core, memory timings, multipliers and dividers, pci-e bus even, and many other cpu functions and settings. took some research but i have my machine nicely OC with these programs.

Oh, Boy...., It Sure is Hot in Here.......!

I would recommend strenuously against overclocking any P4. If this CPU is a Prescott issue, they already run hot at stock speeds. This is compounded by the fact that most pre-built computers are in MATX form factor cases, with insufficient cooling. You're asking for trouble, and even if you are successful, it's doubtful that the performance will live up to your expectations. Any system based on even the lowest E2xxx Pentium dual Core CPU, would likely embarrass the P4.

P4 based system are nice, reliable machines, don't get me wrong, but they really can't be made competitive with the current crop of computers. I have a Prescott based system, and I plan on keeping it till it melts through the desktop, but I'm not going to ask that much of it in the meantime.

Hi red1776!

What progs, I would have some use of one for my Dell...the BIOS settings that I can get to are too basic... :/

I will agree and disagree with cranky on the Prescott issues, I will agree that they run extremely hot when you start trying to OC them but the one I had OC'ed alright on air, had it run at 4.0 GHz took some tweaking and a lot of fine tuning but I got it stable after a couple days. Granted this was done on a custom build not a Dell or Gateway box where cooling would be very difficult to accomplish. That same processor is still going strong at a friends house running stock specs however.

hmmm

the prescott got replaced by the cedarmill chip

the prescott isnt exactly wat u call a gaming processor,its mainly a workhorse chip

with my experiences with it id use it with a small home server with a decent cpu cooler on it from heating issues

if your looking the ranges in the same area but for gaming u might wanna look in to a cedarmill or upgrade to a newer dual core more than likly a intel seince u have a socket lga775

but thats my opinon on those chips

Prescotts are terrible. They hardly overclock at all, and they are actually slower and less efficient per clock than the Northwoods they replaced. I'd say instead of overclocking, just go shell out 80 dollars on a Pentium Dual Core E5200. It'll run circles around the Precott. Hell, even if you managed to get the Prescott to 7 GHz like someone did a few years back, the E5200 would probably still run circles around it without even overclocking.

The 64 Thousand Dollar ...er Bit Question........

Before you consider upgrading to one of the Cedar Mill P4s (or newer) make certain that the motherboard is 64 bit. Many of the older Intel chipsets are 32 bit, and as a consequence won't support some of the newer P4, of for that matter Cedar Mill Celeron. In many cases a BIOS update wouldn't be available for C2D Conroes or later. So, Look before you leap. Some of the Prescott P4s do support EMT64 and consequently would have 64 bit boards, but still, the Cedar Mill issues are now a bit rare themselves.

Personally, it seems like good advice to say accept the P4 for what it is, and use it for what it does, and not what you'd like it to be.

Could some1 tell me if this can be overclocked

And if it can be overclocked can some1 give me point in the right direction on where to start here are the specs from a report in everest

Attachments

• Report.zip
    31.5 KB · Views: 6
I have a dell dimension 5100 and it does'nt seem able to be overclocked, as when the system setup is entered during sartup it shows the cpu settings and no way of changing them. Is there a way around this problem or is MetalX correct about Dells being unoverclockable

I have the same problem steven, from what i've read any computer that is store bought and isn't custom built you can't OC which sucks. I'm just getting into computers and am still learning so I would take what I say with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back