how can i remove gator [GAIN]

By urbantus
Jun 18, 2002
  1. im using win xp pro
    recently internet explorer started to freeze after i opened a few browser windows

on looking into problem and running adware i noticed some stuff that adware cannot remove

gmt\EGIE Process.dll
    gmt/EGNS Engine.dll

I looket at Gain site
    It suggested I lok for programmes linked to Gain
    None show up

Any ideas how to remove this garbage from my computer

Not sure how it got on
    Maybe divx ,grokster or audiogalaxy
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Gator comes with the latest version of DivX. To uninstall it or simply remove it with Ad Aware you must kill the Gaotr process currently running in Memory. Go the task manager & try to spot. The name is pretty obvious. Once you've killed the process, run Ad Aware once again & it'll remove it this time.
  3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Check out this thread here. I managed to stop gator starting by removing its registry entries.
  4. guyferd

guyferd TS Rookie Posts: 31

Which one?

Gator = spyware ... I guess.. Use Lavasoft Ad-Aware to solve this problem... ;)
  5. Phat_Jeff

Phat_Jeff TS Rookie

How to remove Gator's GAIN GMT software.

1. Press ctrl+alt+del to bring up the task manager and end the task named "GMT" or "GMT.EXE"
    2. Click START > RUN and type in 'regedit' then press 'OK'
    2. Delete the follong keys and all their subkeys then close regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GATOR.COM and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GatorTest
    3. Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\GMT

That's it, Gator's GAIN GMT software is now gone and you wont get any more popups.
    Your GAIN supported software will still function normaly.

Phat Jeff =:cool:

Eazy VCD - DVD Back Up Made Eazy
  6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Why would you even want to keep Gator software on your computer? Just get rid of it all together.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.