How do hard drives go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know viruses cause problems, but why else would a 180GB hard drive just all of the sudden go kaput? It's less than 2 years old!!

First, the average MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) for HDs historically is
FIVE years when operated 24/7.
Second, they are electro-mechanical devices and parts do fail. Even a brand new HD
will be shipped with sectors that are flagged by the MFG as do-not-use
and when/if you surface test, you may create still more. In the early days
('80s) it was common to HDs with 100s of bad blocks while few came with ZERO :)

Factors that contribute to HD failure: Overheating, physical abuse
(eg dropping a laptop), forced shutdown which then need CHKDSK /F
to get running again, power outages or unstable voltages, and like people, aging.

- heat
- excessive stress (including running it for long periods)
- defective parts

three most common, i'm having a bout of hdd problems as well at the moment..

nstrong said:
I know viruses cause problems, but why else would a 180GB hard drive just all of the sudden go kaput? It's less than 2 years old!!
Living in a bad neighborhood, malnutrition, born with defects, childhood sicknesses/virii, Drug abuse, abusive parents & the list goes on.
That's why we call them "HARD" Drives :haha:..................jk ;)
Some, less than honorable company's design things to reach end warranty.

What make of Hdd is this?

As fbieler47 has mentioned below
"Low amount of ram makes the hard drive read and write constantly, so more wear and tear."
This could tear down most any Hdd, espescialy in laptops.

And don't forget that some Hard drives are just Born EVIL, Like my 250GB deathstars.

Low amount of ram makes the hard drive read and write constantly, so more wear and tear.

Not to hijack this thread.. but anyone knows the normal temp. for a hdd to opperate? and the maximum temperature when the hdd says to itself "Right. Going for a perminant vacation. Not coming back"....

Thanks for the replies, all. Maybe another stupid question here, but is it really a bad ideas to sit the tower on carpet? The fans all had decent area around them to ventilate but the tower sits under my desk on carpet.

The most dangerous temp for an HD is room temp.That is,startup temp Normal running temp 38.C.Blow up temp 65.C

My PC sits on the carpet.Don`t see any temp difference from when it was on the desk.

carpet is nice if you like the dust that accumulates

Peddant said:
The most dangerous temp for an HD is room temp.That is,startup temp Normal running temp 38.C.Blow up temp 65.C

My PC sits on the carpet.Don`t see any temp difference from when it was on the desk.

Lots of dust sucked into the computer when it is on the floor, Dust bunnys, Or gorillas in the dust at my place. Clogs heatsinks, slows air circulation, Insects like the warmth of the computer environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back