TechSpot

How do i check my internet speed?

By disciple
Mar 14, 2006
  1. Ok; feel a bit of a lemon here, but just got my internet upgraded from 1mb to 2mb. Thing is i'm not sure how to test the speed; i have a broadband speed test program but can't make head nor tail of it. Can somebody give me any indication of what i should look for to know that i do now have 2mb? Cheers.

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

There are some websites that have speed tests.
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Some usenet or newsgroup providers also offer speed tests. All you need to do is find a fast server to download from. I can max out my 6mb connection downloading from some servers.

3. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

4. disciple

disciple TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 57

thanks; lot's of info

5. paranoid guy

paranoid guy TS Rookie Posts: 459

Can't find servers

I have just downloaded that for mine but when I tried to test the speed I got
    TEST ERROR
    The test couldn't find servers. It recommended turning off Norton firewall and trying again, so I did, but I got the same error message. Could it be that I live too far away to use it(Ireland)?

6. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 841

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

8. Mirob

I like that too. 5875/873 vs 3774/736 at PcPitStop. I'm server speed limited, I think. Funny, I pay for 5000/750?

That place said my computer booted slow, crashed offten, and bunck of lies. A Pop up sayin I need updates too. Malware I think. Stay out of that place! :evil:

9. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Posts: 464

PC Pitstop is the best for internet.

10. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

Snapfiles has been around for years,and so has Dan Elwell`s speed test.I`ve never had any problems with either.

As for the popups,you must be using IE.

Try Majorgeeks instead - http://www.majorgeeks.com/Dan_Elwells_Broadband_Speed_Test_d4263.html

11. disciple

disciple TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 57

You won't believe this but my internet came practically to a grinding halt; been in touch with my supplier and they speeded up things a bit, but still not right. Ran spyware and antivirus with no luck; so thinking of starting form scratch with a clean install.

12. Mirob

It is IE, MSN explorer realy. It blocked it, but I had to look.
    cheak it out,
    http://www.techspot.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/976/size/big/cat/500/page/1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I tryed Blue Light(K-mart brand of net-zero) when I had dial-up. For a short time it was okay, like~40k. After a week or so they cut me off to like ~3k. I called and complained then thay said I could have three more months free. I told them to cancel me. They had caped off my bandwidth.

13. paranoid guy

paranoid guy TS Rookie Posts: 459

Thanks

Thanks Mirob, I got 1703kb/s downloading and 214kb/s uploading. That's better than I thought. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.