TechSpot

How do i check my internet speed?

By disciple
Mar 14, 2006
  1. Ok; feel a bit of a lemon here, but just got my internet upgraded from 1mb to 2mb. Thing is i'm not sure how to test the speed; i have a broadband speed test program but can't make head nor tail of it. Can somebody give me any indication of what i should look for to know that i do now have 2mb? Cheers.

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

There are some websites that have speed tests.
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Some usenet or newsgroup providers also offer speed tests. All you need to do is find a fast server to download from. I can max out my 6mb connection downloading from some servers.

3. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

4. disciple

disciple TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 30

thanks; lot's of info

5. paranoid guy

paranoid guy TS Rookie Posts: 420

Can't find servers

I have just downloaded that for mine but when I tried to test the speed I got
    TEST ERROR
    The test couldn't find servers. It recommended turning off Norton firewall and trying again, so I did, but I got the same error message. Could it be that I live too far away to use it(Ireland)?

6. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 462

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,958   +587

8. Mirob

I like that too. 5875/873 vs 3774/736 at PcPitStop. I'm server speed limited, I think. Funny, I pay for 5000/750?

That place said my computer booted slow, crashed offten, and bunck of lies. A Pop up sayin I need updates too. Malware I think. Stay out of that place! :evil:

9. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Posts: 394

PC Pitstop is the best for internet.

10. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

Snapfiles has been around for years,and so has Dan Elwell`s speed test.I`ve never had any problems with either.

As for the popups,you must be using IE.

Try Majorgeeks instead - http://www.majorgeeks.com/Dan_Elwells_Broadband_Speed_Test_d4263.html

11. disciple

disciple TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 30

You won't believe this but my internet came practically to a grinding halt; been in touch with my supplier and they speeded up things a bit, but still not right. Ran spyware and antivirus with no luck; so thinking of starting form scratch with a clean install.

12. Mirob

It is IE, MSN explorer realy. It blocked it, but I had to look.
    cheak it out,
    http://www.techspot.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/976/size/big/cat/500/page/1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I tryed Blue Light(K-mart brand of net-zero) when I had dial-up. For a short time it was okay, like~40k. After a week or so they cut me off to like ~3k. I called and complained then thay said I could have three more months free. I told them to cancel me. They had caped off my bandwidth.

13. paranoid guy

paranoid guy TS Rookie Posts: 420

Thanks

Thanks Mirob, I got 1703kb/s downloading and 214kb/s uploading. That's better than I thought. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.