How do I get the current JavaScript

Doug8765

Hi -
This may sound absurd, but I called the Netflix support to explain that their movie selection buttons give me an error. The tech told me to update my Javascript. I looked in my Firefox 3.6.24 Tools | Options | Content tab and Javascript is enabled. What could he have meant? Doesn't Javascript stay current without my interaction?

Any help will be appreciated.

Doug

Hi Raybay -
Are Java and Javascript the same thing?

I use the FileHippo application and it tells me that all my apps are current.

Doug

No, not really. JavaScript is a fairly flexible object-oriented language. It does help to know some alternatives in order to read other people's code.

It's good to note there are no classes in JavaScript. In general JavaScript is a class-less language. Everything is an object. And when it comes to inheritance, objects inherit from objects, not classes from classes as in the "class"-ical languages.

Hi Raybay -
If Javascript and Java are not the same thing then why would I need to know about Java 7?

Doug

Hi Mike -
Just two weeks ago I went through a process of updating my computer to sync up apps and Java was one of them. Now I use Secunia to keep all my apps current, so I don't believe that my Java is out-of-date.

On the other hand, I am wondering if there's a problem with using an older version of Firefox (3.6.24). My guess is the Netflix folks are shooting from the hip. The last time I updated Firefox to a new version I had to rollback because the add-on I like (del.icio.us) did not work in the upgrade.

There's a question I posted in the Firefox support asking about which versions of Firefox support del.icio.us. I got responses indicating that virtually all versions support it. So I'll probably wait till the weekend and upgrade again. Doing it on the weekend will afford me enough time to rollback again if del.icio.us does not work again.

Does this logic seem sound?

Doug

a good place to start is here

1) microsoft loves to play king of the mountain and keeps moving the goal post
by adding its private version of most things

2) JavaScript very quickly gained widespread success as a client-side scripting language for web pages. As a consequence, Microsoft named its implementation JScript to avoid trademark issues. JScript added new date methods to fix the Y2K-problematic methods in JavaScript, which were based on Java's java.util.Date class.[16] JScript was included in Internet Explorer 3.0, released in August 1996.

3) the wiki explains some questions

4) javascript is not updatible

why would I need to know about Java 7
you don't! what a pile POO. Your browser will run well clear back to java 5! We perform updates on Java for security reasons - - not for Netflix secrete/new function.

Netflix should stream to you with ANY current browser! If you're getting errors,
then launch the EVENTVWR.MSC and look for error records under Applications (ie your browser IS an application) or under System (but usually these are just system services).

I find I get notifications when Java needs an update....I just go along with it.
You are right about the add-ons though, Firefox works fine for several versions, then a big jump is made in it's development, and certain add-ons just won't work any more. It's the price of progress. I keep Firefox 2.0 portable on a memory stick if I need it on a different PC to mine, just because it's so much faster than the later versions !

Hi -
I have called the Netflix people with more data and they now have others with my problem. I now know that the Add Movie to Queue button (red and blue) give me an error (and don't add the movie) in all three of the browsers I use - Firefox, IE and Chrome. I have the most current version of Java, so that should not be the problem. The problem also happens on both my computers.

Yes, I used to love the performance of Firefox. The worst problem for me is just after I reboot, when Firefox takes several minutes to display the home page. I think my computer is pretty clean and I cleanup files everyday with the Windows Disk Cleanup, CCleaner, and TFC.

I think I need to be patient with Netflix.

Doug

Firefox

This issue could be a number of problems. I just did my Netflix and had no problems with it and I doubt that everyone else is having the same problem. If it was a problem with Netflix, it would be something current for everyone. Your problem could lie in software interference or broweser interence from addons. If you're using a later verion of a browesr, it could also present a problem with communication between site and browser. Can you give a list of the software on your computer, browser addons, as well as system information.

This tool should give you what you need. It is an advanced System Information Tool.
SIW tool Just scroll to the bottom of the page to find the free download. It has a copy button at the top of the program to past the info in the forum. Here is a better one that analyzes your system then gives you a webpage with all the information on it. Belarc SI Report Tool You can copy the information form the webpage to the forum, just dont copy your license codes on the software section.

Okay, so listen up, Netflix has no clue what they are talking about. ;-)

Javascript is nothing something you can update: You just need to update your browser since it is built-in. It is not a plugin or an extension...

Java has (almost) nothing to do with Javascript and downloading Java won't fix your issue (It's not used anywhere on their site)

Netflix uses Silverlight. So if you're having technical problems with playing Netflix videos, update Microsoft Silverlight and update Firefox (soooo much better than 3.6, by the way).

If your problem doesn't go away after updating those two things, you either have a problem with your connection or some program/extension is interfering with your streaming. Detail your problem and we can give you better suggestions than Netflix.

The problem also happens on both my computers..... The worst problem for me is just after I reboot, when Firefox takes several minutes to display the home page.

This sounds very much like your Internet connection, by the way, which would explain most of the problems you could possibly have with Netflix. Check out www.speedtest.net and let us know what your numbers are.

I have a Firefox plug-in called Request Policy. When I visit a new site w/ it enabled, sometimes nothing happens when I click on some of the links on the page. If I select "allow all requests" in the plug-in, the page will reload and everything in the page become clicable and works.

Since this is happening to all 3 browsers, I'm thinking maybe your internet security software is causing the problem? For whatever reason, maybe it's blocking requests from Netflix's site?

I have a Firefox plug-in called Request Policy. When I visit a new site w/ it enabled, sometimes nothing happens when I click on some of the links on the page. If I select "allow all requests" in the plug-in, the page will reload and everything in the page become clicable and works.

Since this is happening to all 3 browsers, I'm thinking maybe your internet security software is causing the problem? For whatever reason, maybe it's blocking requests from Netflix's site?

True. Updating your browser will help. As major companies like Microsoft and Oracle and Sun(Java) change and update programming and coding, as well as technological advances forces companies like Mozilla(Firefox), Google(Chrome), and Microsoft(IE) mentioned above to adapt to it or make an updated browser.

And generally alot of site problems can often be caused by add-ons, some programs will piggyback browser add-ons when you download them so you have to make sure to disable or delete those add-ons in your browser. Most of the time you can un-check them on the installation process of the program setup.

You can find the add-ons under manage add-ons in the settings on just about every browser.

Is sounds like your main problem is just software, from this point, you just need to find out which part is causing it.

Installed programs can affect your browser too if they have any type of connection with it.

Always make sure your programs are up to date, some older versions may be worthwhile, but generally there is a reason its being updated. Most Silverlight updates will be available through the windows update and Adobe Flash Player will stay updated as long as there is a connection to their servers, it'll remind you.

disable ALL add-ons and then you will know
a) symptom remails and this is not the issue OR
b) no symptoms exist and one of your add-ons IS the problem.

He doesn't need Java, and Java is really useless for most people. Netflix told him Javascript, which as mentioned above (multiple times) is different (updating Java isn't getting you an updated Javascript). Furthermore Java isn't used for Netflix, Silverlight is.

He needs to try Netflix without a bunch of addons, OR try it in IE9.

Hi -
After calling Netflix several times over more than a week, each time giving a little more information, they agreed that other people were having the same problem and they wanted to know where I lived and who was my broadband provider. Yesterday my Netflix buttons started working, so the problem is fixed.

Thanks for all the information and help.

Doug

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

My parents called Netflix once. Their problems were because of the "high speed" WiMAX (pretty unreliable speeds at times) they have. They live in a rural area so there isn't really an alternative.

First, they gave them a link to an experimental Netflix player which was supposed to help with slow connections. When that didn't work, they lowered the quality of video served to their account. That seemed to fix the problem, for the most part.

Perhaps they did the same for you.

Back