How do I get Ubuntu to recognize my ethernet card? (Also other Linux questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I build a program without the internet? I wanted to get VLC but all the guides say I need to connect to the Universe Server or whatever it is, to build it.

Which brings me to this, how do I get online if Ubuntu doesnt recognize the ethernet card? I tried 2, and I downloaded drivers...except there for windows, which is all I could find. I couldnt find anything for Linux on either card.

The ethernet card that I want to use is - 3com 3c905-tx. The other one is a couple versions older. The 3com website doesnt have a linux driver for it. So, can I put it in the bios prior to loading or something? How does it work with Linux? Ive probably spent 1hr total on the OS. Sorry for the lack of knowledge and possibly newbie question.

It's alright. I'm sure even the smartest techie would be confused ;)

Well, you may want to try using a Linux-compatible ethernet card, as your card may not be compatible.

Well, when I start it, a screen pops up asking if I want to use the ethernet card, and something about a network setup. So I turn it on. When Linux loads, I can see it in the hardware lists, it recognizes the name and everything about it, it just doesnt work.

So just maybe you configured it wrong? "Just doesn't work" means what? What kind of an internet connection do you have? How did you configure the card in Linux? How did you configure the network cards in the Windows machine(s) (if any)?

The kernel has had drivers for 3c905 cards for years. Maybe it isn't compiled as a module in that Ubuntu version?

Can you show more information about the card? You can see the hardware details with lspci command in terminal ( -v parameter once or twice to get more details). It requires sudo or root access, you'll probably get "command not found" as a mortal user.

Well, thats the thing, I don't know how to configure it right. I thought it did, but maybe I didnt. And since I cant configure it in Linux, I have to do it when the computer starts in the Bios. Well, "Just doesnt work" means exactly that. Everything should work, its recognized, but, it simply doesnt work. I plug in the ethernet, nothing happens. And according to the DSL provider, it would turn right on if it worked. Well, I can't configure the card in linux, I can only see the stats on it, but I can't do anything with it. I never had the card in a windows machine, I bought it cause the old one wasnt working in Linux, and this one won't either.

ethernet is not configured in the BIOS and the 3com card is great.

try man ifconfig and man modprobe

'getting it to work' will require access to ROOT and today there's usually
GUI tool to do the setup. (System Settings->Network)

If you have a router, you can test the path
from the NIC to the router ping $router-address. Getting to the internet
requires you to know the ISP gateway, DNS, and DHCP addresses.

Thats strange, I am also a UBUNTU newbie, I also relised I needed an Ethernet card, I just got the cheapest thing at Target, (Linkseys) and it worked, no drivers, questions asked.

--Daniel L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back