How do i install windows xp and 98 on one machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastymad

I have two harddisks one with 98 on it and one with a few programmes on it, I want to know if there is any way that i can install windows xp on my computer but still keep win 98. Thanks.

Yes, you will just put in the XP disc and choose to install XP. Then during the setup just choose to install XP to your 2nd HDD. Make sure to backup any data on there as it will be lost. Everything should be good from there.

I know you can use bootmagic to do this, but I believe you have to buy it.
I am going to be doing the same thing, installing xp on a second HD. Is there another program like bootmagic, free preferably, out there that will do this. I have found a few but seem kinda ify.

According to microsofts website, XP will allow you to chose which operating system to run as default and give you the option to chose which you want to run.

Better explained here....
To specify the default operating system for startup
Open System in Control Panel.

On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system you want to start when you turn on or restart your computer.

Select the Display list of operating systems for check box, and then type the number of seconds you want the list displayed before the default operating system starts automatically.

Note

• To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

• To manually edit the boot options file, click Edit. Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not modify the boot options file (boot.ini). Doing so may render your computer unusable.

Although this comes from their "Windows XP Professional Product Documentation" I dont know if this is the same for other XP versions.

You don't have to do anything special. Just put the XP disk in while running 98, on the autorun choose install. But make sure its a New Installation, then you will need another drive or partition to install to.

Once XP is installed it will propmt you with a boot menu every time you start up by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back