TechSpot

How do I know what version my USB Cables are...?

By maniac_lonestar
Jun 17, 2007
  1. I am hoping that you guys know how to check the USB version/speed in the computer once the cables are connected. It's a problem for me because I want the best quality when transferring data, and I own so man cables like 10 of them. I have different length cables, too, does that affect speed?

So my main question is how do I know if my USB cable is 2.0 or 1.1?
    Thanks

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

if you have a USB 1.1, when you plug in a device like a flash drive windows will tell you is is slow and will run faster.

If you have a late model computer, rest assured, your USB ports are 2.0

Cable length really doesn't make a difference until you're more than 5 feet in length. At that point you want a POWERED usb hub.

if you go into windows control panel under device manager it will say enhanced USB for 2.0

3. maniac_lonestar

maniac_lonestar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 118

Thanks good advice. This "slow and will run faster" would it say when you plug a 1.1. USB cable with a 2.0 device?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

4. Tedster

USB ports are backwards compatible. IF indeed you have a 2.0 device plugged into a 1.1 port it will run at 1.1 speed. You should get a pop-up in windows that will say this device can run faster or something to that effect.

If your motherboard was made in the last 4 years I am quite sure it is 2.0

5. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

Don't wanna nit pick, but you sure you didn't meant 5m, and not 5ft? :)

6. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 228

A true USB 2.0 cable is supposed to say so in print along the length of the cable, according to the USB 2.0 specification. Also, note that the maximum length of a USB 2.0 cable is 20 feet without signal loss. If you need more than 20 feet distance between the device and the PC, you will then need a USB Repeater cable.

7. Tedster

yeah, 5 m. my bad.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.