How do i know what Video Card will work with my Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK1017

My computer is about 5 years old and many of the games i want to play i cant because my video card is old. How do i know what video cards will work with my computer?
I have a AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+ processor and a COMPAQ FS755 17in. CRT Monitor.
My current video card is a VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP

That sounds like onboard graphics to me. We'll need your motherboard information to tell for sure. Or you could just google up what a PCI, AGP, and PCIe slots look like. You probably don't have to concern yourself with PCIe because your computer is too old. So just look at PCI and AGP. Then look at your motherboard to see what you have.

Typically PCI is white plastic, and AGP is brown. This isn't the case all the time, but most of the time it is. Another thing is you'll probably have 2 or more PCI slots, but you'll never have more than 1 AGP slot. AGP will also be located physically above the PCI on a motherboard.

So if you have AGP, then you can get any AGP card (provided your power supply can handle it). If you have PCI only then you are stuck to that, and your choices are fairly limited if you want to do any gaming. But this thread should help you out on that.

Probably easiest just to take the side of the case off and look for an AGP slot or a free PCI slot since you are only concerned about one thing.

But other ways would include: Reading the Manual, Looking at the computer model if it is a store bought one, looking at the motherboard itself (it is written on it), or downloading some software such as Everest or SiSoft Sandra.

Download an application called "Everest". This system monitoring program has all the info regarding your P.C. Click on 'motherboard' and check out what slots you have. If all you have are 'PCI' slots you can only find minimal cards for these.

i downloaded SiSoftware and looked under hardware resources and then I/O and a list came up there was a bunch of stuff named mother board resources, a bunch of other things, and 2 things named PCI Bus does that mean i have 2 PCI Slots

Jeff, why not just open the case and look? If you are contemplating installing a graphics card, you'll have to open the case eventually anyway.

Questions about video card upgrade.

I want to get a new video card but i need to find out my power supply and if my monitor is VGA Compatible how do i do this?

Read the mbd manual

JeffK1017 said:
how do i find my motherboard information?
I imagine you don't have one,so go to your motherboard website and
download a pdf version.But i'm pretty sure it's only AGP or PCI.
agp is still a good choice.Disable the onboard if you do.
But i think you might need a PC technision to look at it.
Theres a good chance a good local PC store will insert 1 for you.

you will need to take the side off your pc and look at the sticker on the side of your power supply

that will tell you all the information you need about amps, voltages and watts

if your monitor is crt (liek na old tv) then it is vge

if it is an lcd (thin "flatscreen") then the graphics card may come with an adapter so that you can plug your screen in

Doubt its 4x, he's got a Sempron, don't think anyone was using 4x AGP when those came out, everyone was already on 8x. *I think*

Thankfully he has an AGP slot, he's got quite a bit of choices still, plenty of which are good enough to play everything except Bioshock and Crysis reasonably well. (unless you are right and it is only 4x)

ok i have a 8x

ok i checked the website for my computer and it said it was an AGP 8x/4x (1.5V) does that mean a video card for An AGP 2.0 (or higher) compliant motherboard wouldnt work?

AGP Slots

I doubt that you have more then 1 AGP slot,so it should give you 8x
if your Motherboard supports 8x.So now you have to check that it's
AGP slot is set to 8x.My mbd box says it's AGP 8x.Read yours.
I have AGP ATI x1650 8X so can't direct you to where your cards options are.
But you say your choice does,right ?
Mine are on the box it came in.I looked before i paid.
Try the bios.

JeffK1017 said:
ok i checked the website for my computer and it said it was an AGP 8x/4x (1.5V) does that mean a video card for An AGP 2.0 (or higher) compliant motherboard wouldnt work?
Yes.

Pretty much you can run the latest AGP cards. Which means you could get a 7800GS, there are also a couple better AGP cards out there but I forget which ones. Point is, ignore everything that has confused you in this thread, and just buy whatever AGP card you want, it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back