How do I make a drive permanent to any memory stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep this simple, I want to make a removable drive (USB Stick) driver letter permanent. I use disk manager to set the stick to be E, but once I insert a different stick it still shows up as a differnt drive letter? This is do to the volume ID correct? How can I bypass this so every time I insert any stick into the port it shows up as E, or whatever drive letter I want it to always show up. I dont want 26 differnt drive letters. Is thier a way in windows to not see it as a removable storage device, or to make it not see volume ID's on USB memory sticks? I thought about tricking it to use a differnt generic driver, which does work but it still changes, or adds another drive letter if I insert a different (2nd Stick). I have been told Linux handels Drive letters differnetly. Maybe I should try this? I know nothing about Linux?

you cannot. Windows assigns a drive letter every time you insert a new stick. You CAN, however, rename the stick to avoid confusion.

Could you somehow make windows not see the stick volume id when the stick is inserted

I was afraid of that answer. Does Linux do a better job when it comes to drive handling? I was also hoping that you could somehow make windows not see the stick volume id when the stick is inserted... Also once the stick is inserted where doe the info get stored, it must save somewhere? In the registry?

Assign the drive whatever letter you want through Cmputer Management - Disk Management, and rename the volume to whatever you want. If you rename all of your USB devices the same, provided you have assigned it a certain letter, it will always take that leter.

I do it for Back-Up disks. Renamed 2 the same (BACKUP) and assigned it Z:
Now they both take Z: when plugged into the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back