How do I repair corrupt system files in Windows 7?

333rob333

Hi

I have searched for this on the Internet, but I can't find out how to fix the corrupt files. After I run CMD (as administrator) and typed SFC /SCANNOW and found errors, it fails to fix it. I then saves a log file in the C drive and when I view it via the event viewer, there is a TON of broken files. How can I manually or automatically fix this?

Thank you! :)

"Executing SFC /SCANNOW From Outside of Windows
When running sfc /scannow from outside of Windows, like from the Command Prompt available when you boot from your Windows installation disc or flash drive, or from your System Repair Disc or Recovery Drive, you'll have to tell the sfc command exactly where Windows exists"

see: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161
Thanks for the reply, I have read the turtorial and followed it, I typed sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows in the command prompt from the installation disk, but it gives a lot of reading, in the end it says VERIFYONLY. Is there more I must do?

/offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows means that your boot is from D: drive and your copy of Windows is on D: drive in a folder called windows

If so, it should work.

/offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows means that your boot is from D: drive and your copy of Windows is on D: drive in a folder called windows

If so, it should work.
My OS is installed on C drive, so then my command must be like this?
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

Please read the full article. You may also need to read https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files .

The use of parameters is for "from the Command Prompt available when you boot from your Windows installation disc or flash drive, or from your System Repair Disc or Recovery Drive". Sounds to me as if you are trying to do the repair using the location with the defects. Do you have an installation disc? Repair Disc? Recovery Drive?

The plain sfc /scannow uses information from a special cache which it already knows about. If in your case it was unable to fix things, then there may be a problem with the cache. In that case you need an installation disc or a Repair disc.

Please read the full article. You may also need to read https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files .

The use of parameters is for "from the Command Prompt available when you boot from your Windows installation disc or flash drive, or from your System Repair Disc or Recovery Drive". Sounds to me as if you are trying to do the repair using the location with the defects. Do you have an installation disc? Repair Disc? Recovery Drive?

The plain sfc /scannow uses information from a special cache which it already knows about. If in your case it was unable to fix things, then there may be a problem with the cache. In that case you need an installation disc or a Repair disc.
Ok thanks! :)

Back