How do user accounts work in XP??

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

I created a user account just for gaming. I dont want anything running in the background that will hinder performance. I created the new account but alot of programs I dont want are there( Roxio, Anti-virus, etc.). Can I un-install them in the Games account without affecting the Main account or should I set up a dual boot?

You need to understand the destinctions between Services, and Programs, and from there understand the differences of All user and Local User preferences.

Depending on the software, you may be able to remove it per user. However, some things you may not be able to do per user.

A dual boot isn't necessary here, but an awareness of your environment is. Look and see what programs are loading that you want to remove, and then see with what method they're being started.

Things like Java, Anti-Virus are usually services. It's hard to arrange these to be executed per user.

Roxio, I would imagine, will be user based, however may have installed itself as an "all users" program. It is then a matter of moving the startup call from the all users group to the local account that you wish it to load under. (Roxio's Drag n Drop CD program is a service... sigh.. crappy design on their part...)

Hope this helps some. If you can post more information on what you're trying to do, and what programs you're trying to remove from loading in a single account, and what their startup method is, it would help us to provide you with more information...

Im just trying to eliminate as much overhead as possible. With Doom 3 and Halflife 2 being such system killers I want to make sure I dont have anything running in the background sucking up CPU cycles and memory. Its a pain in the *** disabling a bunch of programs and services whenever I want to play a game. Ive gotten a 200-300 point boost in 3DMark by doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back