How does 5.1 surround work? Logitech Z-640 + Generic sound card- Ectiva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got the Logitech Z-640, and everything seems to work fine, my only question of curiosity is the fact that when something makes a noise, hence, music or windows, you can only hear it from the center, and front left and right speakers, and sub, whereas if you play a dvd of course it is 5.1, and thats the only time i get full use of my speakers.
How do you make ALL the speakers play at the one time?
Help much appreciated
-jax

Well the reason only those channels work is becuase most mp3s and music are formated for stereo (2 channels you can press the matrix button on your speakers to have a virtual surrond three speakers playing) and not 5.1. The only time you hear from all five speakers is if the medium you are listening to is either dolby digital or formated for 5.1. THis also depends on the sound card becuase i switched from a audigy sound card to the audigy 2 zs and now i can play all my mp3s in five channels whereas before i could only hear mp3s and music from four speakers and subs, i would have to press the matrix button for the center. ps. i have the same speakers. hoipe this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back