How does Mario's kangaroo-like jumping abilities hold up against science?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Over the years, we’ve come to accept the fact that Mario is quite the gifted plumber. For example, he’s able to leap tall buildings in a single bound… wait, no, that’s someone else.

But seriously, have you ever questioned how Mario is able to seemingly defy gravity and jump so high or if it’d even be possible on any planet?

PBS has. Their Space Time channel recently put Mario’s kangaroo-like jumping abilities to the test by measuring the height and hang time of his jump in Super Mario World. If you’re a science geek (or perhaps a huge Mario fan), you’ll love the contents of this video.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I would have thought they'd have modeled the jump for playability rather than to obey mathematical formula :)
But fun all the same.

The guy in the video doesn't know the difference between speed and acceleration. If a ball falls out a window, it will be traveling at 4.9m/s after one second, 19.6m/s after 2 seconds, 44m/s after 3 seconds, etc. Even his 10m/s^2 rounding doesn't come close to his 10/20/30 statement.

See: http://www.gravitycalc.com/

The guy in the video doesn't know the difference between speed and acceleration. If a ball falls out a window, it will be traveling at 4.9m/s after one second, 19.6m/s after 2 seconds, 44m/s after 3 seconds, etc. Even his 10m/s^2 rounding doesn't come close to his 10/20/30 statement.

See: http://www.gravitycalc.com/

This is PBS, not MIT OCW. What were you expecting?

Well if that is so interesting ... I want to know how Pong is able to go back and forth and back so many times without ever hitting the floor? Anti-gravity boots?????

Actually, the ball will have traveled a distance of 4.9m after one second, 19.6m after 2 seconds, 44m after 3 seconds, etc. The speed of the ball (which is what the guy was talking about) will indeed be what he said. My mistake.

Well if that is so interesting ... I want to know how Pong is able to go back and forth and back so many times without ever hitting the floor? Anti-gravity boots?????

You are looking at it wrong. The ball IS on the floor. The ball is travelling horizontally while you look down on it. NOT vertically while you look from the side.

You are looking at it wrong. The ball IS on the floor. The ball is travelling horizontally while you look down on it. NOT vertically while you look from the side.

Naaaaa .... it started out that way, but after a few beers .... actually quite a few beers, it was on the ceiling, sideways ... I think we were the ones that ended up on the floor!

Back