How HDMI and Radeon 5830 will work?

Steelhedgehog

I've recently bought a HIS iCooler V Radeon 5830 from new for $170 on sale and I was wondering about it's HDMI port. I'm going to buy a LG TV/Monitor next to use with my new card (also from newegg), but I've never used HDMI before.

So how does it work? I've noticed there are different types of cables (type a, b, c and d) and I can't find any website detailing which the Radeon 5830 uses, so I was wondering if someone knew and could tell me. Do all recent LCD monitors w/ speakers use the same kind? Will I have to buy a special cable if they don't?

I see that it can transfer audio along the cable too, how will I enable that feature? Will I even need to or is it automatic?

My system specs are:
Athlon II x4 @3ghz, 1.23v
Biostar A785g3
4 gb G. Skill Ripjaw Series @7-7-7-24
WD 640gb HDD
Windows 7 32-bit

To keep this on topic, the new Radeon drivers should have the Hi-Def Audio included, so will be patched over to the TV also.
Just plug it in to your TV and your good to go.
"You are" still contracts to "You're", it never contracts to "your". Still, after all these years.

I'm so not looking forward to proofreading the "great American novel".

Gotta jet. I'm watching reruns of, "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader"!

To keep this on topic, the new Radeon drivers should have the Hi-Def Audio included, so will be patched over to the TV also."You are" still contracts to "You're", it never contracts to "your". Still, after all these years.

I'm so not looking forward to proofreading the "great American novel".

well aren't we nasty this morning!?

I have had to write three research essays this week, I've no grammar left.
Originally Posted by captaincranky View Post
Does anybody really not know that, "you order is ready", is spam, or for that matter, "Extends" doesn't work?

Its EXTENZE...and it does work...:p:wave:

You mean me personally?

I Can Fly, I Can Fly... And I'm the King of England......

Its EXTENZE...and it does work...:p:wave:

"Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe"
That said, so does "Kylie".... :rolleyes:I know that this is the type of thing that is normally talked about openly, but they have medicines to help with that delusional disorder. :confused:

You mean me personally?

You personally, nah. :haha: :wave:

That said, so does "Kylie".... I know that this is the type of thing that is normally talked about openly, but they have medicines to help with that delusional disorder.

I've no delusions...I'm just waiting for the mail to come in skyscraper mode.:rolleyes:

Hi Steelhedgehog. I recently switched to using HDMI for my 5850 for the purpose of feeding audio to my monitor (so my gf could play Farmville/Bejewelled/Video calls with sound without having to wear my wireless headphones and look like a cyberman from Doctor Who to her family).

As soon as I plugged in the HDMI cable and unplugged the headphones from the port on the back of the PC the sound was coming through. Don't think there was any configuration needed in the ATi Catalyst Control center from what I remember. And any cheap HDMI cable will do, have a look at the article linked in this TechSpot news post (Inside the HDMI cable scam @ MSNBC) and the comments from our members and guests....

I have this exact set up, and it works flawlessly. I bought a 35 foot flat HDMI cable and ran it from my computer, under the carpet, and into my receiver. I got my cable at monoprice.com and it works great. Most of their HDMI cables are around $1/foot.

Thank you guys for answering my dumb questions! It really helped! Maybe some day I won't be a noob. Till then!

Remember Steel, there is no such thing as a dumb ques....okay there is....but that wasn't one of them :) good luck with the setup.

Back