How is this for a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentR

how is this for a computer? (Good, bad, decent, downright sucks) They're not great, just want to see if they're good or bad.

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 990MB RAM
Hard Drive: 79 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: SoundMAX HD Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:

im just curious... i got it maybe 2 or three years ago.

Umm pretty sucky... or 3 year old comps are 99% worthless nowadays lol.

2 cpu's? a pentium 4 on hyper threading? either way its still not that good. Ive never even heard of ati Xpress 1100...but i assume its bad considering its age.

Not to be mean but really...stuff gets outdated way too fast :(.

BrentR, it depends on what you want this system to do. For gaming it is hindered because of the amount of RAM you have but especially because of your video card.

If it was mine and this is simply my opinion, I would not waste money on upgrading this rig. Instead, if you can discipline yourself I would begin to start saving up and in the meantime continue to do research so that by the time you are ready to purchase you can build your own the way you want.

There is nothing wrong with you current system if it is used for homework, online research, internet browing, etc. Keep it around as long as it works. When I built my then new socket 939 system a few years ago I kept my old Pentium 3 system because there was nothing wrong with it. The only thing it was limited to was gaming. But as a second faimly system for school work and online research and browsing it was perfect.

So, is your system bad? Absolutely not especially if it is stable. It's just old.

So, is your system bad? Absolutely not especially if it is stable. It's just old.

Alright fine but most people who would ask this kind of thing probably have something more demanding than what you mentioned.

Alright fine but most people who would ask this kind of thing probably have something more demanding than what you mentioned.

You didn't read my response correctly. He already knows it is not great, he said so. He just wanted to know if is good, bad, decent or down right suck and asked for opinions and I gave him mine. If the system does Office work, can browse the internet, do school work and is stable then the system is good for those purposes.

As for gaming, no. He needs more RAM and that video card won't do. As I said it is old and therefore keep it as a second system.

As for most people who would ask this kind of thing probably have something more demanding than what you mentioned perhaps, but that isn't what he was directly asking and I am not a mind reader. If he askied if his this system was good, bad, decent, etc. concerning gaming I would have said out and out "no." Again, it is old.

1. Agree is probably not going to support the newer, more graphically intense apps very well
  2. Agree it's just fine as a work horse for basic computing needs (tho, similary, if you want to run CPU or graphics intensive applications, e.g. video editing, it would feel "sluggish". As fyi... i'm still running just fine with my 5year old Dell for all my needs tho will be thinking of a replacement sometime over the next 12- 24months (i'm not a gamer)
  3. I don't understand "Intel pentium 4 (2 cpu's)". Some Pentium 4s could support multi-threading but there was still just one CPU. What Dell model do you have (just curious now)
  4. Definitely, at least check the price to upgrade your memory on this computer. Isn't worth investing in this one more than the cost of some memory (usually memory upgrade isn't alot) but otherwise put your money towards a new computer
  5. Is this a notebook or desktop?? In either case Is especially important to pay close attention to your video card
    • But especially if you ever decide to buy a laptop. See my comments in this thread
    • You want a video card with its own memory. You list your memory at 990MB. So I'd guess you probably have 1GB memory or more installed (yes?) and your video card is taking 10MB or more from you for its own use leaving you the 990MB
  6. As someone mentioned, technology is changing quickly so your current CPU isn't bad for a 3yr old computer. fyi... in my own opinion, the always-changing-improving-technology-factor also means its seldom worthwhile to automatically want pay the premium to have the "latest and greatest" of everything when you buy your next computer 'cause 4-6 months down the road it'll be yesterday's news. So always look at the price differential and what it costs/is it worth getting the fastest/latest everything vs slightly older/not the newest.
  7. Upgrade to XP SP3 (for free) somewhere along the way ;)

how is this for a computer? (Good, bad, decent, downright sucks) They're not great, just want to see if they're good or bad.

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Memory: 990MB RAM
Hard Drive: 79 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: SoundMAX HD Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:

im just curious... i got it maybe 2 or three years ago.

Well...
1. Quite older machine, it can still run few recent game at somewhat low-medium settings (similar to my system but a bit better with video card, ram)
2. 1G of RAM is fine for the most part, you quite possibly are able to upgrade to 2G if you have extra slot.
3. Based on experience, I used to have ATI Radeon Xpress 200, it was quite bad... Not sure how urs is, I heard these are laptop video cards and mine was a full comp, dunno about urs.
4. You can update to service pack 3 btw :p

Mines also 2-3 years old but I upgraded video card, RAM and power supply.
Original specs:
Intel Celeron D 3.2 ghz
300W power supply
512MB RAM (some of which was used by my internal video card)
120G Hard drive
ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Upgraded:
Same processor
500W power supply (to support card)
1G RAM
120G Hard drive
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS 512MB

I did it a while ago, it didnt cost much either, you can consider upgrading, OR just buy a new system like I am doing quite soon, this time Ill be going over the 400 dollar limit ;)

I absolutely fell in love with RAM as I am severely afflicted with a small attention span, and constantly click between several windows (I.E. Chatting, forums, solitaire, WMP...) As a rule of thumb in my opinion, if you don't have the letter G at the end of some numbers declaring your RAM, I say UPDATE! ^.^ I went out and bout 2GB of RAM and still slow up my computer due to my low-end gfx card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back