How large is windows xp-sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chucky001

How much gig does windows xp with sp2 have ?
I looked in ("my computer") and opened up the c:drive and it said xp 1.37 but I can't beleive its that small
my c: drive is 9.76 gig and I have 1.46 free space which leaves 8.30 used space and I have 3.33 gig for my programs including "my documents with photos and music and well as word documents 676 MB total " also the c: drive contains something called documents and settings which are 1 gig , so thats 5.74 gig total
so 8.30 used up in the c:drive with 1.46 gig un-used So doing the math its 8.30 gig minus 5.74 gig which leaves 2.56 gig unaccounted for, could that 2.56 missing gig be part of windows xp making xp-sp2 actually 4 gig not 1.37 gig ?
A seperate question it that I also noticed my scanner software takes up 4 gig , but its not in the c:drive where I thought it would be
It is listed where my partitions and cd and dvd and ext. zip drive is listed in "My Computer", so is the scanner on the hardrive itself somewhere like the cd drive and dvd drive if its not in the c:drive ?
and also I wonder what actually is the {documents and settings/ ---all user and user} folders 1.04 gig , I know it can't be my documents folder is it ?

my c: drive is 9.76 gig
Did I read this correctly? Is this the total space you have on your HD? The norm anymore is 250GBs...My computer has a small HD and that's 80gbs How old is this thing you call a computer...
Anyways, Windows XP SP2 is 475mb (on cd installation disk)

and also I wonder what actually is the {documents and settings/ ---all user and user} folders 1.04 gig , I know it can't be my documents folder is it ?
Uhm...yes this is yours...its on your computer isn't it? :wave:

!

XP SP2 will add 150 - 300mb to your system, depending.

I strongly suggest you get a newer HDD though. You can get a 40G for fairly cheap these days.

m4dxdpd said:
my c: drive is 9.76 gig
Did I read this correctly? Is this the total space you have on your HD? The norm anymore is 250GBs...My computer has a small HD and that's 80gbs How old is this thing you call a computer...
Anyways, Windows XP SP2 is 475mb (on cd installation disk)

The "norm" is definately not 250GB.

As a service tech in a PC retailer, I can tell you safely that 95% of systems sold are using either 40GB or 80GB drives. Very very few have >120GB.

how much gig on my windowsxp-sp2

Sorry if I did not make myself clear , I have a 250 gig hardrive
How much gig does windows xp with sp2 have ?
I looked in ("my computer") and opened up the c:drive and it said xp 1.37 my c: drive is 9.76 gig and I have 1.46 free space which leaves 8.30 used space and I have 3.33 gig for my programs including "my documents with photos and music and well as word documents 676 MB total " also the c: drive contains something called documents and settings which are 1 gig , so thats 5.74 gig total
so 8.30 used up in the c:drive with 1.46 gig un-used So doing the math its 8.30 gig minus 5.74 gig which leaves 2.56 gig unaccounted for, could that 2.56 missing gig be part of windows xp making xp-sp2 actually 4 gig not 1.37 gig ? I also have 24 gig on f partition and 68 gig on d partition and 131 gig on the e partition , the total gig of my hardrive is 250 gig , with everything on the c:drive and with all the other partitions empty as of now , but I plan to move most of the stuff out of c drive and into the e and d partitions later on
A seperate question it that I also noticed my scanner software takes up 4 gig , but its not in the c:drive where I thought it would be
It is listed where my partitions and cd and dvd and ext. zip drive is listed in "My Computer", so is the scanner on the hardrive itself somewhere like the cd drive and dvd drive if its not in the c:drive ?

So are you saying that the size of your directories doesn't correlate to the size that the properties of C: says is being used?

This is normal. The size C: reports includes all overhead (i.e. slack space), hidden files such as the very large pagefile and/or hibernation file, and the NTFS log. This can end up being very large.

chucky001 said:
it said xp 1.37 but I can't beleive its that small
1.37 GB doesn't sound small to me.
doing the math its 8.30 gig minus 5.74 gig which leaves 2.56 gig unaccounted for, could that 2.56 missing gig be part of windows xp making xp-sp2 actually 4 gig not 1.37 gig ?
Or it's Recycle Bin + pagefile.sys. Both hidden by default in Windows Explorer.
Right-click on your scanner software in Start Menu, check its properties, you'll see where it points to in "Target" and "Start in" sections.
also I wonder what actually is the {documents and settings/ ---all user and user} folders 1.04 gig , I know it can't be my documents folder is it ?
If you know you don't have large documents there, it's probably temporary files taking up space in their "Local Settings \ Temp" directories.

Thank you so much Michtlantecuhtli, thats a big help
So in your opinion then [ documents and settings] one gig folder has nothing to do with " my documents" along with my pictures photos and my music ? its not in there ?

Depends. Win95/98/ME uses "My Documents" in the root directory, if you've upgraded from them, it might still use it (I don't know if it gets moved).

But if it's a clean install and you haven't touched My Documents directory settings, it is located under "Documents and Settings \ *username here*".

how much gig on my windowsxp-sp2

No I am not upgrading my os from an older version , this was a new computer with xp-sp2 already pre-installed
The reason I am asking for all this information is my 250 gig hardrive was partitioned by the builder and I need to start using the partitions and I foolishly installed some of my software in the c:drive without thinking (just vcom system suite 5 and spysweeper and some plug ins not that much) the rest nero and all the microsoft programs the builder installed in the c:drive and he only made the c:drive 9.76 after I told him to make it 80 gig,which was stupid of him so I need to move my documents photos and music and picture this ect. out of the c and put it in the e drive 131 gig and uninstall and reinstall most of my programs from c: to d drive 68 gig , not sure what to put in the f drive 24 gig , any suggestions ? Thanks for the feedback and help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back