How Many Views in News?

captaincranky

The number of views counter isn't working in the "Techspot News and Comments" sub-forum.

I feel like I'm late to the party, or that this is a stupid question, but is that intentional, or is it broken? :confused:

Doesn't the forum software know which views are from robots? I've seen forum software differentiate between them before. And if they are differentiated they can be differentiated from the view counter.

Yea, bots are not counted at all. Both the news comments and feature comment sections have a more simplified look by design, so it serves as a repository of all comments belonging to articles.

IIRC this (Xenforo), software used to differentiate robots from viewers, and post the counts of each.

What the heck, while we're on the topic of display. The post box is cutting off the bottom half of the member's signatures.

I am using a vertical (portrait) monitor orientation, 1080 x 1920. (That's likely what's doing it, but I thought I'd ask).

Last edited:
Coming right up...(y)

Attachments

• Techspot_Signature Cutoff_08-30-2017159 Aug. 30 22.49.jpg
    Techspot_Signature Cutoff_08-30-2017159 Aug. 30 22.49.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0
No fix from me, but the issue is not the cut out per se, but how big the font is on your display. It should look like this instead:

qw.png

Add-on related perhaps?

OK, this is what happened. I uploaded the screenshot, and the font in the sig changed to much smaller, (1/2 size?), exposing all the text. After I navigated away from the page and returned, the text was back to its original size, and half hidden. Apparently the text size in the attachment somehow temporarily effected the text size in the box overall.

It's not the browser. I'm using Opera, in stock form. Firefox is where I have script blocking installed, but I no longer use that browser for this site. Both browsers render the page identically.

I have two suspicions about what is causing the issue. the 1st is the portrait orientation on my monitor. (Which BTW, displays more story / thread listings than the landscape mode), or the god forsaken G-41 IGP in this ancient turd of a computer....OR....doctoring the pages for better rendering on mobile, has tampered with desktop rendering. (OK granted, that was 2 1/2 suspicions). So a scaling fault on this machine maybe?

Your screenshot, is exactly what my screen looked like, at the moment I uploaded the attachment, and for as long as I stayed on the page. I swear my 15 year old eMachines with Intel 915 graphics is more reliable than this thing. It just won't run video well.

Last edited:
Indeed you have Julio! Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to solve this..(y)

SNGX1275 was a big Opera fan as well. He's the one who finally nagged me into installing it, albeit that it took a few years to sink in. I should thank him the next time he comes around.

Back