how much RAM do i really need?

By deano3041
Jul 17, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok i am lookin to build a new rig and i really have a tight budget as in i cant spend more than 200$ on my ram and i need to kno should i go with 1, 1.5, or 2 GB's of ram and what brand should i git i want it to be able to run the latest games at screaming rates and decent multitaskability 1 GB is good now but im sure games not to far in the future will demand more to run smoothly so plz let me kno how much and what kind do i really need?

thanx
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,760

1 gig is enough. For future games make sure your video card has at least 256mb. When I went from 512 to 1 gig of system RAM the only real difference I noticed was the games and levels loaded alot faster. My gaming and 3d benchmarks stayed the same.
  3. deano3041

deano3041 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 66

ok kewl

ok kewl cuz im gittin the 256 x800xl so i will b fine there thanx for the tips
  4. Fleesh

Fleesh Newcomer, in training Posts: 32

I had 1 gig of ram which in theory is plenty for many game's.. The one game that i did notice the increase from 1 gig to 2 gig was battlefield 2. Is it worth the extra 1gig well it depends on what you play. if you play every game except bf2 then 1 gig is plenty bf2 2 gig is reccomended... it really does help in that.. but like vegasgmc says get 1 gig and a decent graphic card. You can always upgrade later it's cheap enough to buy now adays.

As to what type i personally like OCZ or GEIL memory
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.