How to access email address database in Outlook 2007

garywallis

Outlook, like most email clients, will suggest a contact in a drop down list when you begin to type an address into the recipient address bar. However, this list is more comprehensive than the address book in Outlook and appears to be based on sent or received emails. For example, I can start typing fre.. and the suggestion will come up "fred123@hotmail.com" but when I search my address book, fred123 is not there. How can I access this list / database of email addresses and save in a csv or text file? anyone know?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You're using 2007 and I still have Outlook 2000, so the procedure will be different, but here's the concept

a) File->Export
b) select Export to File
c) select Comma Separate Values (Windows)
d) select the Contants item in the tree view
e) browse for the path to store the file and put the name you would like at the end

Thanks for your reply jobeard, but this isn’t what I’m looking to do. The instructions that you gave convert Contacts into a CSV file but outlook holds many more additional email addresses than are in the Contact database. For instance, if I create a new email and type “ab” into the To... address bar, a selection of suggested recipients appears in a drop down list. In my case, the first one is Abbyw*****s@***.com. This individual does not exist in my outlook Contacts or in the outlook address book within outlook Mail. However I have corresponded with this person by email, so outlook Mail is automatically recording this address in some form of internal database and suggesting them as the recipient when I start typing in the recipient address. It is this database that I want to access. Any thoughts?

I understood the question on the "database" and how a partial entry can be expaned.
A great many email clients can do this (mine is Thunderbird).
My wife's Macintosh works this way too.

IMO, there is no hidden database, but an intelligent pattern matching operation is performed on the existing list of contacts.

You might be able to verify or debunk that statement if you export the Outlook Contacts to a *.csv file and then sort on the email address column . . . .

Thanks jobeard. Yes I exported the Outlook contacts to a CSV file and sorted on the Email address column. The only addresses that are exported are the entries in my Outlook Contacts. (No real surprise here) but there are email addresses in the Outlook mail client that can be accessed as described in my original post, but are not in my Outlook contacts or the Outlook mail address book. These are addresses that I have corresponded with but I have not added them to my address book, Outlook mail appears to store them somewhere else. For example, If I was to email you and then you were to reply to me simply by hitting "reply" , Outlook would "remember" me the next time you began to type my address in the To... field but I would not be in your Outlook contacts file.
In Firefox, Emails collected this way are stored in a file called "Collected Addresses" in the address book, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent in Outlook mail, unless I am just missing it!

"In Firefox, Emails collected this way are stored in a file called "Collected Addresses" in the address book"... Apologies, I meant Thunderbird

T If I was to email you and then you were to reply to me simply by hitting "reply" , Outlook would "remember" me the next time you began to type my address in the To... field but I would not be in your Outlook contacts file.
In Firefox, Emails collected this way are stored in a file called "Collected Addresses" in the address book,...
That is all correct :) The "Collected Addresses" ARE part of the Contacts (in Thunderbird). I can't help you with Outlook other than previous comments.

Best wishes.

Back