TechSpot

How to change default View to List?

By macx
Nov 11, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As the title says, I'd love to change the default folder file listing format to LIST
    rather than using icons - so it stays in that format.

How to?

Esp on a flash drive, etc.

THANKS!!
  2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,372   +167

In Explorer, set the view you want
    Click Tools->Folder Options then the View tab
    Click the button to apply the view to all Folders
  3. sent12b

sent12b TS Rookie Posts: 21

To change the default startup folder for Windows Explorer: 1. Click Start , point to All Programs , point to Accessories , and then right-click Windows Explorer .
    2. On the menu that appears, click Properties .
    3. In the Target box, append the "/root" command-line switch to the "%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe" command, using the startup location that you want. For example, if you want Windows Explorer to start at the root of drive C, edit the command to the following:
    %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /root, C:\
  4. LookinAround

Hi sent12b
    - On the one hand i think the OP just wanted to change their default folder view vs. location
    - On the other hand, i keep meaning to change my own default folder location but never seem to get around looking up "how to". So THANKS! Will apply your answer :grinthumb
  5. macx

macx TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 743

Yes, that's correct. And going into the above path I didn't get to anythng that allows me to do that?

EDIT: I think I just figured it out. Went into a big folder with lots of sub-=folders, set it to List, then went into Tools Folder Options etc. So far so good.
  6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

macx, you must have known this, it's very basic
    I'm not trying to insult (or intending to) But a member for 3yrs, that's a while !
  7. macx

Not to worry! I'm mostly a novice compared to folks like you and things that I don't do very often I tend to forget how. So, to refresh my memory when I know i've done it sometime in the past but can't remember where to find it, I turn to the experts here.

Besides, when you don't have much to brag about, there's not much to offend either! ;-)

I found this super resource when I tackled spec'ing then assembling and loading my own desktop. Never could have done it without all the great help and advice.

As I have a very wide range of interests, I don't spend a whole lot of time on any one, so come here when I encounter a problem. (also, I'm currently working 6 to 7 11's to 12's, doesn't leave a whole lot of time! - so, when I run into a problem I don't have time to fiddle with it and learn it for myself).

Thanks again to all you helpful people!!
  8. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Sure made something easy complicated! I don't imagine you want ALL the files to display in List view so this would have been the easiest way:

Open from Windows Explorer> click on View icon (NOT View on the Toolbar) to the right of word Folder > choose the view.

It's a square window with dots> click on arrow point to the right to choose view.

Pretty simple.
  9. LookinAround

Hmm.... Now how many chefs does it take.... :chef: :)

..... ==> So i do think OP wants List as folder default. (Heck, my folder default is Details)

So macx, just open Explorer. Set the view you like. Click Tools->Folder Options
    [​IMG]

Click View tab, click Apply to All
    [​IMG]
  10. macx

Yes, actually I do want all files & folders to view in List format.
    Once in awhile when I want something different then I can change
    on a case by case basis.

Got it figured out, I'm now Listing ; -)

Thx guys!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.