TechSpot

How to clone a drive with some bad sectores XP

By mayoorpatel
Jan 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a note book and no floppy dirves. I have backedup the to a network drive and cannot create restore disk.

Computer seems to work ok, have found some bad sectores. Before my hard drive goes bad I want to put a new drive.

I have orignall cd for restore and it is xp home addition. I had purchased XP profesional and cannot find the cd. I do have the sticker of xp pro on the note book.

I do have another computer with floppy and cd/dvd writer with xp home.

When trying to clone it stops where the bad sectors are. Any way to mark them bad so cloning can be done. I have norton system works 2003.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You have to use the Windows disk check utility and tell it to scan for bad sectors.
  3. mayoorpatel

mayoorpatel TS Rookie Topic Starter

I had done norton disk doctor at reboot --- same as chkdsk /r and it has not helped.

I have tried few other methods using utilities from google search and nothing has helped.

I am about to try spinrite .... I will let you all know what happens after that
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

What program are you using to copy the drive?
  5. kodrutz

kodrutz TS Enthusiast Posts: 145

As I kept saying in some of my posts here, for analyze & recovery, use Ultra Boot or/and Hirens Boot Cd.
    Good luck!
  6. mayoorpatel

mayoorpatel TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have used norton and g4u for cloning

I used spinrite and it found and recovered the error and either didn't mark them bad (found physical defects) g4u stopped at the same spots.

I have used the ultra boot cd basic and I am not sure which soft ware in there will do the job.

I think it has g4u in there for cloning and I ended using a boot cd of g4u. Unless g4U have a switch for ignoring bad sectors.

If I can figure out to make ntfs partition smaller and move away from the bad area ---- at 4% to 5% of the disk than I can use g4u to copy partitions to the new disk --- I am testing this on a regular hard drive connected using usb ---- it I can more the partitions successfully I will purchase a 60 gig note book harddrive and a external usb unit to transfer (clone) the partition/harddrive and replace.

It is difficult to work this out when no floppy in the notebook.

It is HP zx185 I suppose I can purchase a extenal bootable floopy and make all this work using backup and restore from xp prof

Thanks for all the help
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.