How to clone a drive with some bad sectores XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a note book and no floppy dirves. I have backedup the to a network drive and cannot create restore disk.

Computer seems to work ok, have found some bad sectores. Before my hard drive goes bad I want to put a new drive.

I have orignall cd for restore and it is xp home addition. I had purchased XP profesional and cannot find the cd. I do have the sticker of xp pro on the note book.

I do have another computer with floppy and cd/dvd writer with xp home.

When trying to clone it stops where the bad sectors are. Any way to mark them bad so cloning can be done. I have norton system works 2003.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

You have to use the Windows disk check utility and tell it to scan for bad sectors.

I had done norton disk doctor at reboot --- same as chkdsk /r and it has not helped.

I have tried few other methods using utilities from google search and nothing has helped.

I am about to try spinrite .... I will let you all know what happens after that

As I kept saying in some of my posts here, for analyze & recovery, use Ultra Boot or/and Hirens Boot Cd.
Good luck!

I have used norton and g4u for cloning

I used spinrite and it found and recovered the error and either didn't mark them bad (found physical defects) g4u stopped at the same spots.

I have used the ultra boot cd basic and I am not sure which soft ware in there will do the job.

I think it has g4u in there for cloning and I ended using a boot cd of g4u. Unless g4U have a switch for ignoring bad sectors.

If I can figure out to make ntfs partition smaller and move away from the bad area ---- at 4% to 5% of the disk than I can use g4u to copy partitions to the new disk --- I am testing this on a regular hard drive connected using usb ---- it I can more the partitions successfully I will purchase a 60 gig note book harddrive and a external usb unit to transfer (clone) the partition/harddrive and replace.

It is difficult to work this out when no floppy in the notebook.

It is HP zx185 I suppose I can purchase a extenal bootable floopy and make all this work using backup and restore from xp prof

Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back