How to disable second hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to udate an old clone computer currently using Windows 98 OS as it's C drive with Win 95 on a second hard drive. I never use this second hard drive that was originally set up just for storage. It has some bad sectors on it now and creates a bad drive message when I first boot up. I can get by it but since the whole idea is to clean this computer up and use it just as a work horse I would like to disable the second drive and move on to further improvements. I pulled the cover off and can locate the primary and secondary cabels going to the mother board. My question is, can I just pull the power cord connected to the secondary hard disk without causing any pain to the main drive or any where else for that matter...like my pocket book??? Seems plausable to me but then I am just beginning with all this repair your own computer stuff. Since this is not my only computer I thought it would be a great place to start the learning process. I look forward to your advise.

As long as the computer is not switched on when you do it,you can detach the cables as you wish.

okay...so I can just unplug the four wire power source and the cable to the hard drive and when I boot up again my computer will no longer acknowledge drive D? That simple??

Do you need to change BIOS settings? Cuz if it's IDE won't you have to abolish the master/slave settings & set it to single drive or whatever

nope
should boot just fine
if you want to make sure set the master disk on ide 1 at end of cable set it or make sure its set to master

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back