How to Dual Boot between 2 Hard Drives

By frostyboy
Sep 19, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a question.

I have 2 hard drives on my PC. One hard drive has Win Xp installed on it. The other I would like to intsall Win Vista beta and be able to dual boot between the 2 drives.

My question is do I have to format the second drive as a primary or logical drive and does it have to be partitioned. Or can I install Vista onto that drive as is without partioning it.

Cheers
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

The second drive should contain a primary partition. It doesn't necessarily have to be formatted, but I'd certainly recommend it.

I don't know how Vista does things, but XP and other versions of Windows (XP/2000) will install a boot loader onto the active, primary partition which will give you a list of Windows OSes during boot up so you can select between them. This boot loader can be overwritten with an XP/2000 boot loader in the event you decide Vista isn't for you...
  3. frostyboy

frostyboy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for your reply.

One more question, On the second drive can I leave it as one whole partition and can it be in the NTFS format.

Cheers
  4. AdamE

AdamE Newcomer, in training

Yes, the second drive can be formatted as one whole partition and NTFS is correct.
  5. frostyboy

frostyboy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for your help.

Got it working last night and your right Xp loads a boot sequence at startup so I can choose which operating system to run.

The new Vista upgrade looks great, just a few minor bugs microsoft need to iron before it's released.

Can't wait til they release the final version so I can get my sound card working.....

Regards

Frosty :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.