How to Find Your Original Windows 10 Product Key

Julio Franco

Staff member
Thank you for the article.

"now manufacturers are storing this license within the machine's UEFI/BIOS and the information is automatically retrieved and applied when reinstalling the operating system. Certainly a better approach overall."

I strongly disagree. If the motherboard has to be replaced, you are screwed and have to buy yet another license (especially if you bought 3rd-party in replacing oem). Microsoft is really cashing in on this. No doubt in their plan. Finding the key like this is a big help.

Well, the Activation "troubleshooter" was useless for me. Had to replace my motherboard & CPU, and of course installed Win10 (1803) new with my same MS account login, and it wouldn't activate. The troubleshooter would present selection of current system, but kept saying there was some problem. Luckily what fixed this (avoiding a call to MS) was using change product key and entering my Win7 product key I upgraded back in 2015. (I did actually have my supposed Win10 product key extracted before, but that wouldn't take with change product key.)

We did mention this tool on the article.

Thank you for the article.

"now manufacturers are storing this license within the machine's UEFI/BIOS and the information is automatically retrieved and applied when reinstalling the operating system. Certainly a better approach overall."

I strongly disagree. If the motherboard has to be replaced, you are screwed and have to buy yet another license (especially if you bought 3rd-party in replacing oem). Microsoft is really cashing in on this. No doubt in their plan. Finding the key like this is a big help.
OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard anyway, if you replace for the same you don't lose your license. If you have a retail license, you can change anything on the machine or move to a new machine entirely, but no longer worry about a physical piece of paper or anything like that.

"OEM copies are locked to the device on which they're sold, retail copies can be transferred to a different device as long as the old copy is removed first. (The Windows 10 EULA includes a specific exception for PC buyers in Germany, who are allowed to transfer OEM software thanks to a court ruling.)"

Source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-new-license-terms-for-windows-10-no-surprises/

We did mention this tool on the article.

OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard anyway, if you replace for the same you don't lose your license. If you have a retail license, you can change anything on the machine or move to a new machine entirely, but no longer worry about a physical piece of paper or anything like that.

"OEM copies are locked to the device on which they're sold, retail copies can be transferred to a different device as long as the old copy is removed first. (The Windows 10 EULA includes a specific exception for PC buyers in Germany, who are allowed to transfer OEM software thanks to a court ruling.)"

Source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-new-license-terms-for-windows-10-no-surprises/

I dunno about you, but my licenses are not tied to my aftermarket motherboards. I guess if you buy retail - sucks to be you. So according to your link, you have to remove the copy from your hard drive and re-install from scratch just for a motherboard replacement? Again, sucks to be a retail buyer. MS saw you coming. Raking in the cash.

It's articles like this why visit this site almost everyday. Good important articles that help the everyday consumer and pro's. Reminds me of this magazine I got when I was a kid and was addicted reading them, MAXIMUM PC was the magazine I believe.

Last edited:
You can change your hardware and move your Windows 10 license by signing into the old install with your Microsoft account so that it's notes this in the activation status.

Then on the new hardware sign in with the same Microsoft account and run the activation troubleshooter to move the license. Even if you originally had an OEM license that normally cannot change motherboards, the troubleshooter will make a one-time exception in this case. If not contact Microsoft support to ask for assistance.

Greg Carmack
Windows MVP

You can change your hardware and move your Windows 10 license by signing into the old install with your Microsoft account so that it's notes this in the activation status.

Then on the new hardware sign in with the same Microsoft account and run the activation troubleshooter to move the license. Even if you originally had an OEM license that normally cannot change motherboards, the troubleshooter will make a one-time exception in this case. If not contact Microsoft support to ask for assistance.

Greg Carmack
Windows MVP

Would this work, for instance, in replacing the motherboard in a laptop?

Good god, what a mess.
Another good reason to switch to Chrome OS, or Linux.
This kind of thing is just going to drive even more people off the Windows platform than is already happening with the move to mobile.
I already stopped my Office subscription, and do everything I did there in Google docs.
Windows is just going to become an ever increasingly niche business OS, like this.

How to Find Your Original Windows 10 Product Key?
I will tell you how!
First you gather your friends, then you bring your D&D set. Roll the dice! Adventure begins!

I recently upgraded my system, (FX8350 to Ryzen 2700) and although I have a retail copy of windows I still unregistered my windows license from the old hardware first using "slmgr /upk" as my friend upgraded his hardware too but he ended up having to ring microsoft and let them take control of his rig to get the licence to transfer as he couldn't get it to re register using his credentials. Unregistering then re-registering ("slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx") on the new hardware saved me a lot of potential drama as the automatic license transfer doesn't always work.

Last edited:
But the key shown does not work >.< I tried on upgrade and fresh install both.
damm.

I recently upgraded my system, (FX8350 to Ryzen 2700) and although I have a retail copy of windows I still unregistered my windows license from the old hardware first using "slmgr /upk" as my friend upgraded his hardware too but he ended up having to ring microsoft and let them take control of his rig to get the licence to transfer as he couldn't get it to re register using his credentials. Unregistering then re-registering ("slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx") on the new hardware saved me a lot of potential drama as the automatic license transfer doesn't always work.

Actually had almost the same problem. Also went from a FX8350 build to a new Rizen 2700x. Even though it gave my old PC as an entry to trasfer license from, it still didn't let me. So I let MS take control and they couldn't do it either.
They legit just *gave* me a new key for Win 10 Pro, so now the old system and the new system are still active. Not that I power the old one on anymore.

Actually had almost the same problem. Also went from a FX8350 build to a new Rizen 2700x. Even though it gave my old PC as an entry to trasfer license from, it still didn't let me. So I let MS take control and they couldn't do it either.
They legit just *gave* me a new key for Win 10 Pro, so now the old system and the new system are still active. Not that I power the old one on anymore.
Cool, it was good of them to give you a new license. Atleast now you can sell your old system complete with a windows install if you ever need to. I'm due to upgrade my daughters system the same way I did mine, hopefully it will go just as smoothly. :)

Cool, it was good of them to give you a new license. Atleast now you can sell your old system complete with a windows install if you ever need to. I'm due to upgrade my daughters system the same way I did mine, hopefully it will go just as smoothly. :)

Best of luck to ya! And I thought about that with old system, not sure what will happen when/if I remove my MS account.

I recently upgraded from a Sandy Bridge system to a Ryzen 7 2700 system. Installed a new Motherboard, CPU, Ram and a M.2 drive. I was using a SATA SSD for my Windows drive and changing that to a bigger M.2 PCI drive. I imaged the new M.2 drive from the SSD and unhooked that SSD. When I rebooted of course as expected I had errors all over the place which was fine. I then did repair and a new install over the M.2 with the Imaged Windows from the SSD. Booted, logged in with my Windows ID and Voila, my Windows 10 Pro registered no problem. I don't know if I needed to do it this way but I wanted a clean install and my version was retail but upgraded from Windows 7 Pro through 8 and 8.1. Took a few steps and I may not have had to do the whole image thing, but it worked, allowed me to run repair and get registered, so I am satisfied. Not sure if I could have started with Win 7 Pro and gotten back to Windows 10 that way.

I'm missing some critical info....

Like.....What is the purpose of the product Key?

If I install Window 10 "Workstation" (1809) as a Windows 2 Go Install, I do NOT get a watermark or activation prompts in Windows (So Far)

It boots on every computer I have and there is NO License info in BIOS or UEFI

It just works

ProductKey and ShowKeyPlus give me the "KEY" info even if there is no activation

Whats up?

Both of these apps also show that when I boot to Windows 8.1 Enterprise TRIAL, that it is indeed a TRIAL Copy, even though it is still on day one of the 90 day trial after 8 years and does not shut down after one hour (LOL)

The other app you listed are pure crap and either don't give enough info or require a Licensing Agreement (Magic Jellybean)

So tell me......
Why should I activate a Spyware Platform with a one sided Licensing Agreement that uses Extortion and Blackmail just to let me use my Windows compatible software when the non-activated copy works just fine?

Dude, I am SO SERIOUS!

JUST TELL ME WHY?

Last edited:
Back