How to Get Windows to Keep Previous Copies of Your Files

The first thing you should add to a new install of Windows 10 or 11 is a shortcut to Control Panel, where all the settings *actually* are (except for Windows Update, which has been migrated to the tremendously unhelpful Settings screen).

As a VMS engineer I love articles like this, VMS has had a fully versioned file system for over 40 years :)
And, since File History in Windows doesn't let you have the previous versions stored on your regular internal hard drives, the one thing it doesn't allow you to do is turn Windows into VMS.

And, since File History in Windows doesn't let you have the previous versions stored on your regular internal hard drives, the one thing it doesn't allow you to do is turn Windows into VMS.
I didn’t know Windows File History doesn’t allow file versioning on the same disk, that seems a little limiting?

I’ve always been a little baffled that Microsoft poached the likes of Dave Cutler from DEC to develop NT, yet left out some pretty key features (file system, clustering, etc).

Back