How to install and boot Windows on an external (USB) hard drive

nobardin

Please read this guide from start to finish before doing anything

1) Does your computer support booting from USB?

Usually, if it's an option in your BIOS boot sequence menu, the answer to this is yes. If it's not there then the answer is probably no. However, proceed and see what happens.

2) Confirming the "Bootability" of your USB-Drive
  • Shut down your computer
  • Connect your USB drive directly to one of your USB ports on your computer, without using a Hub
  • Disconnect any other hard disk drives (internally) from it
  • Turn on your computer. Confirm that Bios is set to start from CD
  • Insert your original Windows XP CD into the drive
  • Start the installation, and proceed to the section where you are allowed to pick a hard drive

• If it goes beyond the partition selection, your drive is already fine for booting Windows XP. If not (seems to be the cases with many of the Freecom USB HDDs for example), you will get an error like "Windows is unable to find your drive, partition, data etc bla". This is usually not a big problem. All you need to do is "properly" format the drive with the NTFS file system. After this, the drives are recognized as valid installation devices by the Windows XP installer. There has been no success reported in using the FAT32 file system for such purposes.

3) Dumping the original Windows Setup CD into an ISO File

Pretty easy one. Simply open WinISO or your ISO program of choice, and select Actions -> Make ISO from CDROM, and save your CD image to a convenient place on your hard disk drive.

4) Extracting the files we need to work on

After the Windows ISO image is done, close and reopen WinISO.(or the program of your choice) Then, open the ISO file you just created using File -> Open.
Now, click the I386 folder, and select the following files (hold down Ctrl key to multi-select)
  • TXTSETUP.SIF
  • DOSNET.INF
  • USB.IN_
  • USBPORT.IN_
  • USBSTOR.IN_
Select Actions -> Extract and put the resulting files into a folder on your C: drive. I usually put the files into a new folder called primary (ie C:\primary)

5) Unpacking IN_ files

Use the Cab SDK program from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310618 and install the tools directly on your C: drive..I install the tools into C:\cabsdk and would recommend you to do the same..This program is meant to be ran from a cmd window..so click start-->run-->cmd and press enter. In the command window, if you installed cabsdk to the folder mentioned above "C:\cabsdk" type the following: cd C:\cabsdk\bin then press enter. and now your command prompt should look like this...
C:\cabsdk\BIN

(The following assumes you saved the files you extraced from the iso file to "C:\primary")..
Next you will want to unpack the .IN_ files by typing in the cmd window:.. cabarc x C:\primary\USB.IN_ then press enter. Repeat this process until you have done it for USB.IN_ USBPORT.IN_ and USBSTOR.IN_ you will then have the following inf files in the BIN directory of the cabsdk folder.
  • usb.inf
  • usbport.inf
  • usbstor.inf
Close the Command window.

• 5-A) Create a new folder on your C:\ drive:

• Name it edited then move the following files from the BIN folder in the cabsdk directory to the folder named edited on your C: drive:
      • usb.inf
      • usbport.inf
      • usbstor.inf
    5-B) Copy the following files:

• Copy the following files from C:\primary to C:\edited
      • TXTSETUP.SIF
      • DOSNET.INF

6) Editing the files
This is the main job. i ll also try to explain a bit whats happening. Use a simple Texteditor... Notepad is the one you want to use. The find uitlity (Ctrl F) Will be your best friend through this process. Also take your time with editing the files. Double..no..triple check everything as you go. There is no harm in being sure you have completed each step correctly.

6-A) TXTSETUP.SIF
This file is loaded on the initial install step by the Windows XP CD installer. In this file, we will change the way Windows treats USB devices during system setup -- the default is to only treat them as input devices during installation -- we will change this to include mass storage driver support (which needs to be loaded into the installer much earlier in order to work).

First, move the following bolded entries from [InputDevicesSupport.Load] to the [BootBusExtenders.Load] section , exactly as shown here.. Note: Delete the bolded lines from [InputDevicesSupport.Load] after you have moved them to [BootBusExtenders.Load]

[BootBusExtenders.Load]
pci = pci.sys
acpi = acpi.sys
isapnp = isapnp.sys
acpiec = acpiec.sys
ohci1394 = ohci1394.sys
usbehci = usbehci.sys
usbohci = usbohci.sys
usbuhci = usbuhci.sys
usbhub = usbhub.sys
usbstor = usbstor.sys

[InputDevicesSupport.Load]
usbehci = usbehci.sys
usbohci = usbohci.sys
usbuhci = usbuhci.sys
usbhub = usbhub.sys

usbccgp = usbccgp.sys
hidusb = hidusb.sys
serial = serial.sys
serenum = serenum.sys
usbstor = usbstor.sys

Now move the bolded entries from [InputDevicesSupport] to [BootBusExtenders] Note: Delete the bolded lines from [InputDevicesSupport]
after you have moved them to [BootBusExtenders]

[BootBusExtenders]
pci = "PCI Bus Driver",files.pci,pci
acpi = "ACPI Plug & Play Bus Driver",files.acpi,acpi
isapnp = "ISA Plug & Play Bus Driver",files.isapnp,isapnp
acpiec = "ACPI Embedded Controller Driver",files.none,acpiec
ohci1394 = "IEEE 1394 Bus OHCI Compliant Port Driver",files.ohci1394,ohci1394
usbehci = "Enhanced Host Controller",files.usbehci,usbehci
usbohci = "Open Host Controller",files.usbohci,usbohci
usbuhci = "Universal Host Controller",files.usbuhci,usbuhci
usbhub = "Generic USB Hub Driver",files.usbhub,usbhub
usbstor = "USB Storage Class Driver",files.usbstor,usbstor

[InputDevicesSupport]
usbehci = "Enhanced Host Controller",files.usbehci,usbehci
usbohci = "Open Host Controller",files.usbohci,usbohci
usbuhci = "Universal Host Controller",files.usbuhci,usbuhci
usbhub = "Generic USB Hub Driver",files.usbhub,usbhub

hidusb = "Human Interface Parser",files.hidusb,hidusb
serial = "Serial Port Driver",files.none,serial
serenum = "Serial Port Enumerator",files.none,serenum
usbstor = "USB Storage Class Driver",files.usbstor,usbstor
usbccgp = "USB Generic Parent Driver",files.usbccgp,usbccgp

Next, we also have to write several keys into the registry. Convieniently, the txtsetup.sif allows you to specify files that are parsed and instered into the registry at install time. Insert the following in the [HiveInfs.Fresh] section: Make sure the entries are lined up

[HiveInfs.Fresh]
AddReg = hivedef.inf,AddReg
AddReg = hivesys.inf,AddReg
AddReg = hivesft.inf,AddReg
AddReg = hivecls.inf,AddReg
AddReg = hiveusd.inf,AddReg
AddReg = dmreg.inf,DM.AddReg
AddReg = usbboot.inf,usbservices

and also in [SourceDisksFiles]

[SourceDisksFiles]
usbboot.inf = 1,,,,,,_x,3,,3
bootvid.dll = 1,,,,,,3_,2,0,0,,1,2
kdcom.dll = 1,,,,,,3_,2,0,0,,1,2

Finally, save and close TXTSETUP.SIF. We are done with it.

6-B) DOSNET.INF
Now, open DOSNET.INF , and change the second [Files] section (yes there are 2 sections called [Files]) to look like this:

[Files]
d1,usbboot.inf
d1,_default.pif
d1,12520437.cpx
d1,12520850.cpx
Save and close DOSNET.INF

6-C) usb.inf

Change the bolded lines in the [StandardHub.AddService] and [CommonClassParent.AddService] sections to resemble the ones below:

[StandardHub.AddService]
DisplayName = %StandardHub.SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType = 0 ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl = 1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary = %12%\usbhub.sys
LoadOrderGroup = Boot Bus Extender

[CommonClassParent.AddService]
DisplayName = %GenericParent.SvcDesc%
ServiceBinary = %12%\usbccgp.sys

Save and close usb.inf

6-D) usbport.inf
Change the bolded lines in the [EHCI.AddService], [OHCI.AddService],[UHCI.AddService] and [ROOTHUB.AddService] sections:

[EHCI.AddService]
DisplayName = %EHCIMP.SvcDesc%
ServiceBinary = %12%\usbehci.sys

[OHCI.AddService]
DisplayName = %OHCIMP.SvcDesc%
ServiceBinary = %12%\usbohci.sys

[UHCI.AddService]
DisplayName = %UHCIMP.SvcDesc%
ServiceBinary = %12%\usbuhci.sys

[ROOTHUB.AddService]
DisplayName = %ROOTHUB.SvcDesc%
ServiceBinary = %12%\usbhub.sys

Save and close usbport.inf

6-E) usbstor.inf
Change / Add the bolded lines in the [USBSTOR.AddService] section

[USBSTOR.AddService]
DisplayName = %USBSTOR.SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 0
Tag = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\USBSTOR.SYS

Save and close usbstor.inf

6-F) new file: USBBOOT.INF
Make a copy of one of the .inf files from your edited folder (Please note..I said a copy) on your desktop...Rename it USBBOOT then open it up with notepad and delete all of the text in the file. Then copy and paste the text below into it. Save the file, and move it to the folder where your edited files are. (Also note: the spaces in the text below are fine)

Code:
[usbservices]

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR","DisplayName",0x000000 00,"USB Mass Storage Driver"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR","ErrorControl",0x00010 001,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR","Group",0x00000000,"System Reserved"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR","ImagePath",0x00020000,"system32\DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR","Start",0x00010001,0
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR","Type",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbehci","DisplayName",0x00000000,"USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Miniport Driver"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbehci","ErrorControl",0x00010001,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbehci","Group",0x00000000,"System Reserved"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbehci","ImagePath",0x00020000,"system32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbehci","Start",0x00010001,0
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbehci","Type",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub","DisplayName",0x00000000,"USB2 Enabled Hub"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub","ErrorControl",0x00010001,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub","Group",0x00000000,"System Reserved"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub","ImagePath",0x00020000,"system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub","Start",0x00010001,0
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbhub","Type",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbuhci","DisplayName",0x00000000,"Microsoft USB Universal Host Controller Miniport Driver"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbuhci","ErrorControl",0x00010001,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbuhci","Group",0x00000000,"System Reserved"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbuhci","ImagePath",0x00020000,"system32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbuhci","Start",0x00010001,0
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbuhci","Type",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbohci","DisplayName",0x00000000,"Microsoft USB Open Host Controller Miniport Driver"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbohci","ErrorControl",0x00010001,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbohci","Group",0x00000000,"System Reserved"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbohci","ImagePath",0x00020000,"system32\DRIVERS\usbohci.sys"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbohci","Start",0x00010001,0
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbohci","Type",0x00010001,1

7) make a copy of the edited files in another folder on your C: drive. I name this folder "edited backup"

The reason we are doing this is: If you accidentally enter the commands wrong while repacking the files to their .IN_ format it can ruin all
the work you have done up to this point. So with that said.. make another folder on your C: drive and name it edited backup and copy the files from the edited folder into edited backup. That way if something does go wrong you can always copy the good edited file from the backup folder and not have to do all the work again.

8) Repack the inf files into their original IN_ format

Now if you took my suggestions throughout this guide, the cabsdk tools should have been installed to C:\cabsdk

The original .IN_ files, TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF should be in C:\primary

The unpacked and edited inf files (usb.inf, usbstor.inf and usbport.inf) TXTSETUP.SIF, DOSNET.INF and USBBOOT.INF should be in C:\edited, and you should have a backup copy of the edited files in C:\edited backup

Open the cmd prompt window again (start--->run--->type cmd and press

enter) in the cmd prompt window type cd C:\cabsdk\BIN and press enter.

To repack the files we need to execute the following cabarc commands
cabarc n USB.IN_ C:\edited\usb.inf
cabarc n USBPORT.IN_ C:\edited\usbport.inf
cabarc n USBSTOR.IN_ C:\edited\usbstor.inf
Close the cmd window Note: There is a space between .IN_ and C: in the commands. The three IN_ files should now exist again in the BIN folder of the cabsdk directory

Congratulations. All our modifications are done.

9) Create one last folder:
On your C: drive create one last folder and name it "final edit" then

copy the following files to it:
  • USB.IN_ (from the BIN folder of cabsdk)
  • USBSTOR.IN_ (from the BIN folder of cabsdk)
  • USBPORT.IN_ (from the BIN folder of cabsdk)
  • USBBOOT.INF (from the edited folder)
  • DOSNET.INF (from the edited folder)
  • TSTSETUP.SIF (From the edited folder)
10) Inject the changed files into the ISO

Open your Windows CD image (The iso file you created) with WinISO or your program of choice. Navigate to the I386 folder, and delete the following files from the ISO,
  • DOSNET.INF
  • TXTSETUP.SIF
  • USB.IN_
  • USBPORT.IN_
  • USBSTOR.IN_
saving the changes to the ISO afterwards.

Just to be sure all is updated in the ISO, close and repoen the ISO in WinISO or your program of choice. Now, again go to the I386 folder and select "Add Files". Now add your changed files from C:\final edit, Make sure you are adding the files to the I386 directory in the iso.
  • USBBOOT.INF
  • DOSNET.INF
  • TXTSETUP.SIF
  • USB.IN_
  • USBPORT.IN_
  • USBSTOR.IN_
Save the ISO then open it again and check to make sure the new files are in the correct directory...if so.. You are done with this portion of the procedure.

11) Burn the ISO back to CD:

For burning iso's I use Alex Feinman's iso recorder which you can get here https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6204-iso-recorder.html ...After you install ISO Recorder, no program group is created and there is no application to run. ISO Recorder is a Shell extension, which means it provides additional options in a file right-click menu. To create a CD with ISO Recorder right-click on a file with .iso extension and select "open with" then click "ISO Recorder" Once the burning has completed
you now have your windows cd that should be capable of installing to an external USB drive

12) Place the new windows cd in your cd drive

13) Preparing to install to the USB drive:

Shut down your computer. Disconnect ANY internal and external hard drives (Except the external one you want to install windows on, so Windows cannot find them during installation and mess up their Master Boot Records.) Also, now connect your USB Hard drive directly to the computer, without any Hubs in between.

Windows should install just fine, with the exceptions noted below.

14) Issues you will encounter during installation:

During driver installation, the USB drivers will prompt you, as they are "not certified" - This is normal. Our changes invalidated the checksum, and therefore the driver is no longer signed. Just press "yes" a couple of times. Upon completion of the install, the system will complain once on the first bootup that the pagefile does not exist. You can ignore this for now, as Windows will work fine without it. This issue is being looked into, but its not critical for now.

15) what to do after the install has finished:

Once everything is up and running , shut down and reconnect all your drives.

Special thanks goes out to kimsland for helping me with getting this guide ready to be posted to the forums.

16) a few more notes:

This install will only work on the computer it was first installed on. You can't take it to a friends house or to school/work and boot a different computer with it without installing it from said computer.

Failure to disconnect any other hard drives may cause installation problems as well as corruption of the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the other hard drives.

Hi
Thanks for a great Guide. But when Windows has copied the files to the external disk before the real install of Windows and reboots for the first time, its stop before any Windows Logo appear, I have change the Boot Order but no results. Just "Disk Boot Error" and the lamp on the harddrive goes out. Any idea?

Two screenshots, dont forget to change the "xx" to "tt":
hxxp://i40.tinypic.com/2q1t3wy.jpg

hxxp://i43.tinypic.com/15q4uw1.jpg

yeah so one day i decided to reformate my hd on my laptop, had to remove it from the laptop to do it. (file formate is ntfs) and then i tried installing xp, inserting disk, booting from disk, so on so forth. it didn't detect my hd, once i had inserted the hd back into the laptop.

so i got the idea maybe i could install xp onto a usb flashdrive, or external hd. searched google, come across, one set of directions of acomplishing the process, but it was confuzing, then i found ur guid, here on techspot. so i fallowed it to the letter, and then i ran right into the same problem as andros forever, did. usbboot.inf was corupted on line 3...so i looked into the file, honestly i don't really know what to look for, or what i did wrong. so if u could help me out that would be great..

i'm curently useing a friends laptop, so i hope to hear from u soon.

Sorry to bump the topic. I Burned the ISO to a DVD because I didn't have any CDs. Now when I go to boot settings and try to boot from CD it just continues to load into my other operating system and not the disk. Does it make a difference if it's on a CD or a DVD?

This is a Guide thread

No it doesn't matter if it's CD or DVD. It's just your Bios needs to be setup to boot from CD as first option

By the way, this being a Guide, and located in the Guides and Tutorials forum, means you will get little support here. ie This thread is a guide only. Best to create a New Thread on the actual support forums, for any technical support ;)

Didnt work for me, I maybe did something wrong. Wont try again am giving up on the great IDEA.
I get value in .sif corrupted or missing, Value 1 on line section [inputdevicessupport] with key hidusb.
By the way my original xp disk has SP3.

Line 3 error

thanks a alot for post nobardin but i'm having exactly the same problem as killbob...any clues at all?

Amend the code in the USBBOOT.inf to the following:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR","DisplayName",0x00000000,"USB Mass Storage Driver"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR","ErrorControl",0x00010001,1

Basically take the spaces out and it should work ok. I had the same problem and it worked for me.

I'm going round in circles.
I want to put my Xp pro sp2 2002 cd which I just bought onto my EeePC.
I have formatted the EeePC in dos with windows 98 boot files on the USB drive so no problem there. It came installed with a poor version of Linux that can't do much.

Will this tutorial let me install the **** from a USB drive onto my laptop?

The problem with the above tutorial is the file "asms" files become unavailable which is the actual boot-codes saying it is a genuine CD. So the above may work for some, it just depends on the version of XP CD as the newer discs have more security. (Like mine).

I've got XP PRO 2002 SP2 installed, registered and updated on my EeePC 8GB/1GB/900A. (Bye-Bye Linux, you will not be missed.)
It was a nightmare and the above tutorial never worked so I went down another route.

1. USB_PREP8
2. PeToUSB - used to format the memory stick you want to use.
3.bootsect.exe - This is all old windows 98 boot files from floppy and also allows a NTDLR boot. This is what allows the memory stick to become a boot device the same as a floppy disk from the olden days. Without this, or not done right, then you will never get the stick to boot.

I used a 1.1 USB 1Gb packard-bell MP3 player as my flash drive.

You need to know a bit of DOS commands and how to use the command line in windows to change directorys etc, FDISK, plus a few others, but it all went smoothly.
The problem is the windows CD is a sod to copy sucessfully but USB_PREP8 will do this file for file as some other programs mess it up.

I guess I should write a tutorial becase the way I used will work on any PC that has no CD/DVD ROM or USB optical drive.

I also tried this out on my Seagate external USB 2 150GB IDE Hard-Drive and all worked perfectly.
I never even partioned the drive as NTLDR will see any size of disc, DOS is limited to FAT32 2GB clip.

Hi

I got to start editting TXTSETUP.SIF in Section 6A and then got stuck on this bit....

Next, we also have to write several keys into the registry. Convieniently, the txtsetup.sif allows you to specify files that are parsed and instered into the registry at install time. Insert the following in the [HiveInfs.Fresh] section: Make sure the entries are lined up

[HiveInfs.Fresh]
AddReg = hivedef.inf,AddReg
AddReg = hivesys.inf,AddReg
AddReg = hivesft.inf,AddReg
AddReg = hivecls.inf,AddReg
AddReg = hiveusd.inf,AddReg
AddReg = dmreg.inf,DM.AddReg
AddReg = usbboot.inf,usbservices

and also in [SourceDisksFiles]

[SourceDisksFiles]
usbboot.inf = 1,,,,,,_x,3,,3
bootvid.dll = 1,,,,,,3_,2,0,0,,1,2
kdcom.dll = 1,,,,,,3_,2,0,0,,1,2

Can't actually find this in the file when openede in Notepad????

Thanks in advance.

Sam

I have tried what you are trying and it doesn't work, too much variables to go wrong
If you want use this one which we at uni all use and it's simple to do without all this changing and editing of files which is not needed.
I've even included the little programs that you need so you don't have a head-ache trying to find them.

http://www.mac-designs.co.uk/EeePC

Open the .pdf file and follow it. good luck

Hey stealthmode and others

in a proces to install windows xp sp3 from a usb stick i tried many, many things but i'm always stuck on the BSOD 0x0000007B.

What diifers with this method, i'm not an expert is the bootsect.exe which was the reason i tried this method. No luck.

i installed grub4dos with the iso of winxp works but also stuck at the BSOD 7B.

i have 4 old pc's from a school which are formatted. Dell optiplex GX 260. An SFF machine with no cd. I have an external usb DVD writer but in the bios the CD player still remains status not connected. Installation with CD is no option. I managed to install a laptop with usb so my hopes are on this method.

In one time I saw the splash screen but got the BSOD at that time. In all other cases i get the error before the splash screen. Does anyone know the sequence from NFTS system till splash screen, because i think the BSOD problem is in this area.

thx for help in advance

Hi there, you are doing something different to what I thought so my mistake for assuming differnetly but i'll try to help as i'm sure will others.
Are you trying to install the xp sp3 from a usb device onto an already installed ntfs partion with windows xp on already and working?
The error code as you may know is telling you you have an inaccessible boot device which will not then get to the splash screen.

Again read this, still confused, your dell, has it no OS and you're trying to install xp with service pack 3. Also why the grub as this is linux?
Need more info before I start to look at the problem.

stealthmode said:
Are you trying to install the xp sp3 from a usb device onto an already installed ntfs partion with windows xp on already and working?

No, the HDD is formatted by win98 disk and recognised by BIOS.

stealthmode said:
The error code as you may know is telling you you have an inaccessible boot device

yes i know, but the code 0xC00000034 according to the KB is likely to be a driver problem, however USB works.From FAT and NTFS system loading the system is checked, monitor, keybord, HDD and the the light of usb stick is flashing twice and the BSOD is on screen.

Thx for response

your going to hate me again. I need to know exactly what you are trying to do here as it's still not clear.
You have a dell with a clear HDD that has been formatted with fat32. You now want to install windows xp with service pack 3 onto this formatted hard-drive by using a USB device.
Your bios sees the HDD + you have an option to tell the bios to boot from other device, i'e USB device.
lastly, how did you format the HDD? did you use the pen-drive(USB).
Have you also now only got a C: drive showing and no other partion. This would be confirmed by using the fdisk command to let you see all drives and you also deleted non-dos partions.
I ask this as you mentioned using a linux grub which will still be in a partion on the hard-drive unless you also deleted this.
If this is the case you need to go back to the beginning and start again. Also this entire method here is for the EeePC laptop but Ican install by USB on any PC as long as the comp can boot to a USB device.
Please make very clear what you have and are wanting then I will be able to talk you through it. At present I think you still have not got a clear HDD and hence errors.

stealthmode said:
You have a dell with a clear HDD that has been formatted with fat32. You now want to install windows xp with service pack 3 onto this formatted hard-drive by using a USB device.
Your bios sees the HDD + you have an option to tell the bios to boot from other device, i'e USB device.

this is correct

stealthmode said:
how did you format the HDD? did you use the pen-drive(USB)

i used a win98 bootfloppy on the dell a drive and used the command format

stealthmode said:
Have you also now only got a C: drive showing and no other partion. This would be confirmed by using the fdisk command to let you see all drives and you also deleted
non-dos partions.

Fdisk shows only 1 active partition on C:

stealthmode said:
I ask this as you mentioned using a linux grub which will still be in a partion on the hard-drive unless you also deleted this.

I used grub4dos to make the usb stick bootable. Another usb stick made bootable by pe2usb. Both give the BSOD 7B

stealthmode said:
At present I think you still have not got a clear HDD and hence errors.

when i used the command format c:/s and i boot the pc without USB or Floppy the computer end up with dosscreen C:\ So in my knowlegde the HDD is seen and functions.

Last but not least: i'm not going to hate you, because i understand why it is important for you to know what i did or did not do.

Okay, now trust me on this next bit, look at my .pdf tutorial and do exactly as it shows, stage for stage. Also your usb drive, put it into a working comp and use the hp format utility to format it. Also what size is your usb stick. a max of just under 2 gigs will be nice but not a problem. Disregard all errors to date and now do the install exactly as i set out stage for stage. Don't bother with the dos command to make the directory as you know this part already. come back here when you get to the stage only of your usb stick having been sucessfully formatted with the HP formatting utility. If i never put the hp format utility on the server you can google it. You are ready to install, but it will take some patience and if it goes wrong, this is not a problem as you just do it again, some people have taken a few attempts.
Also I need to know you have a genuine and real hologram XP cd in front of you.
You also have to tell your bios to disarm the floppy, best if you can actaully pull the floppy ide cable from the motherboard to make the bios forget it and not give you grief. I am going to get you to the stage of your usb stick holding the entire win xp Cd. I also will take you through dell and bios problem if we have to but I don't think this will happen.
1. format the usb pen drive with hp format utility.
2. disconnect and disable the floppy from the dell system you are going to install the new os onto.
3. have genuine only xp cd in fromt of you
download the three files and place them only on your c: drive of the other computer which has a cd rom and is going to be used to copy the files from the CD to your peb-drive.(extract them as I have zipped them) You will have three folders.
Come back here when this is done.

it gets tricky booting to the usb but we will come to this when your ready as the bios will try to boot to the c: without help from you but i'll take you through it.

I've also used another comp with networking to install os's but this is not needed as you will be fine with the USB pendrive and i've also installed an os over three days with only floppy 1.44 discs but lets not go down this road. I don't suppose you are in London by any chance?

Not Londen Netherlands

stealthmode said:
Also what size is your usb stick. a max of just under 2 gigs will be nice but not a problem

both usb sticks are 4 GB.

stealthmode said:
Also I need to know you have a genuine and real hologram XP cd in front of you

i made an image CD was used as a frisbee by my children.

wil follow the steps, gonna let you know.

Back