TechSpot

How to make SATA HDD as master and slave

By Bharathwaj
Jul 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,
    I have 2 SATA Hard drives. In one of my Hard drive, boot sector went bad. So I will not be able to boot boot into my computer using that hard drive. I bought another SATA hard drive. I have some important data on my old hard drive. I want to know how to make my old hard drive as slave and my new hard drive as master. When I connect new hard drive and old hard dive to my computer, old hard drive is not detected. I even checked in checked in BIOS. After booting the computer I also checked in device manager, my old doesn't show up. I also checked fro the jumper in my hard drive. Jumper is not there in both of my hard drive. I'm sure that only boot sector is gone bad in my old hard drive because I'm getting that message on the screen. Can some one help me turning hard drive master and slave.

Info: brand name of Old hard drive is Hitachi. New hard drive is seagate.

Thanks in advance.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,692   +337

There is no master/slave with SATA drives.

You control which one boots by the boot order in the BIOS. If your drive isn't showing up something is seriously wrong with the drive. Based on what you have said, I suspect that your drive has died and that error is only displaying because a boot sector won't be found on a dead drive. But before all hope is lost...

I'd try connecting it to a different SATA port on the motherboard, sometimes there are more than 1 controller (SATA I, SATA II, or a RAID) and I suppose there is a tiny chance you had a controller go bad. Not likely though, esp if you plugged the new drive into the same controller and it shows up.

Jumpers on SATA drives were used in the past (on some drives) to force a legacy mode if the drive was SATA II and your motherboard could only handle SATA I.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,595

Another possibility is that a few SATA ports may be disabled if they are set to IDE mode.

Wikipedia Link - Serial ATA

4. Bharathwaj

Bharathwaj TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your reply. I will try that and let you know.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.