How to network comps with Windows Xp (one pro other home)

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_head

Hey guys. A few days ago, i bought a new laptop and it came with Windows Xp home. My desktop has Windows Xp Pro. The two computers are currently sharing internet (router) and i wish to network them. Yesterday i tried to network but i was unsuccessful. I followed the windows wizard guide on how to establish a home/office network but it didn't work. I was hoping that you guys know any websites that have clearer instructions on how to establish a simple network (with file and printer sharing?) If you need any more info, please do not hestitate to ask. Thanks

P.S. If this isn't the right place to post this question, sry.

check here microsoft net
remember the log user name must be the same for both machines

cannot disable simple file sharing in home
if both can get to wan
run wizard for local net if you have a firewall add the address's to rules of firewall
don't expect to see all your files you need to enable file sharing per each file or folder or drive
do search here there sticky on basic setup

well how do you know if your computers are qualified to be networked (right hardware)? Since they are able to share an internet connection, that's enough?

Windows XP Home Edition Laptop Network Blues

da_head said:
Hey guys. A few days ago, i bought a new laptop and it came with Windows Xp home. My desktop has Windows Xp Pro. The two computers are currently sharing internet (router) and i wish to network them. Yesterday i tried to network but i was unsuccessful. I followed the windows wizard guide on how to establish a home/office network but it didn't work. I was hoping that you guys know any websites that have clearer instructions on how to establish a simple network (with file and printer sharing?) If you need any more info, please do not hestitate to ask. Thanks

P.S. If this isn't the right place to post this question, sry.

You're lucky, the wife got me one of these new laptops wi-fi, wide-screen 16:9 an etc with Windows XP Home Edition SP2, I rather have XP Pro got to wait 1 year by that time I'll have to get Windows Vista Premium. Anyway they way these new laptops are setup you have to create a new account if you already tried to setup and using the default one that uses your full name.

Example John Smith
Network: Workgroup

The best bet is to setup this pc as you would the other's on your network
Since there is no access group policy nor security policy you have to do it this way.

If you have other PCs as XP Pro and you;

login: da_head
password: xxxxx da_head
workgroup: da_head

You have to do the same thing for XP Home

There is a few free programs like an old copy of X-Setup, MS TweakUI XP you can change the Auto Login, but it might not change and go back to default.

So the best thing to do is create the a new account to match how you connect to all your PCs. As I've mentioned above.

Now I am able to browse, Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 boxes all on the Windows XP Home Edition Laptop.

Add printers and share folders and browse quickly...

You might also want to run the fix for TCPIP.sys which is set to 10Max connections to 50, if you find things slow on the internet and that can be found on www.speedguide.net and a nice TCP tool called TCP Optimizer.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but i haven't set up a network yet. I tried using the network setup wizard, and all those microsoft websites are confusing. can someone please break it down for me?

Network Setup A B C

da_head said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, but i haven't set up a network yet. I tried using the network setup wizard, and all those microsoft websites are confusing. can someone please break it down for me?

You don't not need to use the Wizard..

Right now think of a workgroup name to give to your network.
Think of a name that all the PCs on your network can use.
This is not hard to do.

All XP Pro and Home
go into control panel
click on users accounts and start to create a user name
Next click on system in the control panel
click on computer name
you can also give each pc a computer description

Now click on Change
Make sure you have created a computer name
Make that computer part of what workgroup name

That's it reboot each PC and to the same for all..

k nvm i got it setup, just need to tweak some things. thx for your help. btw i no how to share files and stuff but how u share hardware (i.e. printers)?

same like files... go to your printers folder, right click the printer you want to share on the machine connected to it and if there isnt a selection called sharing, it will be in your printer properties under the "sharing" tab...

then call it as you wish on the network, enable it yada yada yada

on the client pcs you can either go and add printer wizard in that machine or go to the network workgroup, find the Print Server and navigate to the printer and add it there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back