How to replace a heatsink and fan

By weirdsistwo
Aug 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a compaq presario SR1010NX. When I upgraded my computer to Vista, the pins holding my heatsink/fan on top of my processor broke. I have to place my tower on it's side in order for the fan to be running. When I place it upright, the cpu shuts down and the fan doesn't work. As long as I have it on it's side, it will work perfectly. I have another compaq presario that was recently given to me (tower only no monitor or keyboard), but it is a model S4020WM, and I don't know if I can use the heatsink/fan on my motherboard. Also, I would like to know if the processors in the computers are interchangable..any help would be greatly appreciated..
    weirdsistwo
  2. wii-ste

wii-ste Newcomer, in training Posts: 197

You need to buy a new Socket mPGA478 heatsink and fan. These are pretty inexpensive, so try a website like www.dabs.com or www.ebuyer.com. Make sure that you get one that is suitable for the Celeron 2.8GHz processor (it will tell you the suitable CPU's on the listings).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.