How to set the page file for Win 7 64

By Larsenex
Sep 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I read elsewhere that I should not let Windows manage the page file. In old XP I would set it but I for got the formula.

My system will be back with 8 gigs of DDR2 dual channel.

What would you set the page file at?

I was going to do 24000 (Megs) I think that's right but I may be wrong.

Edited for spelling.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,288   +281

I typically set the pagefile to 2x the real ram so for you, I would recommend 16gb.

set both the min & Max to the same number. ONE GB is 1024 so 16 would be 16384.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,770   +1,428

I personally don't see a problem with allowing Windows to manage Pagefile. And to be honest, I have 8GB and have run over 6 months without a Pagfile. However when I do use a Pagefile, I set the size to 1GB and then let Windows mange the size. If I need more than 1GB for Pagefile, Windows will increase the size when needed.
  4. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,327   +49

So there it is. Two experts, both respected and know a great deal, but they give you suggestions at the opposite ends of the scale. If you think about it, that is telling you - 'it does not matter much what you do'
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. jobeard

I learned to set it to 2x and fix the size when on xp I suffered major HD overload when the pagefile was forced to expand. It not only took a long while to complete the expansion, but it was then fragmented into 12-16 fragments - - really helpful with the performance of the most critical file on the whole system ( !! NOT !!).

Like so much of systems management - - it's your choice :)
  6. jobeard

Oops; forgot to mention - - get a copy of Defraggler and using the
    menu Settings -> Boot Time Defrag, you can defrag not only all the registry files but also the pagefile too :)
  7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,384   +607

Enforcing min/max values for the page file is useful if the tasks you perform regularly chew up 80%+ of your RAM.

If you barely hit 50% some of the time, Win7+ is pretty good with managing its own pagefile size.

In any case, I recommend you do have page file enabled.
    Larsenex likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.