How to share printer over VPN connection?

By newbie80
Mar 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there,
    My LAN is using 192.168.xx.xx network. but I have a small office in Indonesia which all 4 users connects their notebook and retrieve email using SecurID(VPN). They are always connected and my VPN gives a 10.10.xx.xx IP address. my printer is network enabled and is plugged to the router(print server enabled). How do i share this printer with the users always connected to VPN. ?? pls help..
  2. gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook Newcomer, in training Posts: 528

well, if you have a print server on the network, and your outside users are VPN'd in, they should be able to ping to the address of that print server. If they can, you can direct them through the Add Printer Wizard, have them manually configure a new Standard TCP/IP port, and then add the print drivers. After that you should be good to go.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

Sharing is no different using a VPN than normal sharing -- that's what the
    security risk is all about (but I'll ignore that for this thread).

Just have your remotely connected users click on Add Printer and select the
    Networked Printer option -- your devices will show up if you have enabled
    File/Print sharing on your system AND have elected to share your printer.
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

The difference of the IP ranges does not matter. The gateway of the remote office should know that 192.x traffic goes to the tunnel and everything else goes to the internet. If it doesn't, then you hav to configure it so.

On the server side, make sure that the 10.x network is trusted - your firewall or other software may be blocking this "foreign" IP range.
  5. newbie80

newbie80 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks guys!! I'll try that out again.. Appreciate your kind replies.. :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.