how to swap 2 -30gb hdd to 2 - 300gb hdd w/ RAID

By tim4604
Dec 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. can someone please explain to me how to change out and transfer my files and folders from my 2 - 30gb hdd /w RAID to my 2 - 300gb hdd w/ RAID? i'm running windows xp pro, and i have an external maxtor 80gb hdd.
  2. Noxious Ninja

Noxious Ninja Newcomer, in training

Is it hardware RAID, or software RAID? Is Windows installed on this RAID setup, or is it just for data?
  3. Otmakus

Otmakus Newcomer, in training Posts: 85

If it's just data, u can simply copy it to ur external hard disk and then copy them back to the new hard disks, but if it contains OS and softwares too, u might have to use ghosting softwares, for more information on ghosting softwares, read : http://ghost.radified.com/

Oh, and don't use software RAID if u can, it uses a lot of resources.
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

We definitely need to know what sort of RAID is it.. Your controller type and the RAID level are the most important.

And yes, cloning/copying the data to some intermediate storage would be the easiest/safest way.
  5. tim4604

tim4604 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks folks. the motherboard takes care of the RAID, i think. there is also some software that gets loaded. the info i could find is: WINXP Promise MBFastTrak 133 Lite Controller and Promise 2+0 stripe/RAID 0 SCSI Disk Controller. The motherboard is an MSI KT4V-L with an AMD Athlon 1800 chip. I don't know enough about this to know if it helps or not. thanks again.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.