How to swap 2 -30gb hdd to 2 - 300gb hdd w/ RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone please explain to me how to change out and transfer my files and folders from my 2 - 30gb hdd /w RAID to my 2 - 300gb hdd w/ RAID? i'm running windows xp pro, and i have an external maxtor 80gb hdd.

tim4604 said:
can someone please explain to me how to change out and transfer my files and folders from my 2 - 30gb hdd /w RAID to my 2 - 300gb hdd w/ RAID? i'm running windows xp pro, and i have an external maxtor 80gb hdd.

Is it hardware RAID, or software RAID? Is Windows installed on this RAID setup, or is it just for data?

If it's just data, u can simply copy it to ur external hard disk and then copy them back to the new hard disks, but if it contains OS and softwares too, u might have to use ghosting softwares, for more information on ghosting softwares, read : http://ghost.radified.com/

Oh, and don't use software RAID if u can, it uses a lot of resources.

We definitely need to know what sort of RAID is it.. Your controller type and the RAID level are the most important.

And yes, cloning/copying the data to some intermediate storage would be the easiest/safest way.

thanks folks. the motherboard takes care of the RAID, i think. there is also some software that gets loaded. the info i could find is: WINXP Promise MBFastTrak 133 Lite Controller and Promise 2+0 stripe/RAID 0 SCSI Disk Controller. The motherboard is an MSI KT4V-L with an AMD Athlon 1800 chip. I don't know enough about this to know if it helps or not. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back