How to Throw Your Video Game Controller

I guess if I was forced to use one of those stupid controllers I'd have done all that to it by now but I'm not the excitable, emotional type. If a game annoys me too much, I simply stop playing it. Console controllers the most unnatural way to control a game as far as I'm concerned. Thank God for the keyboard and mouse. I do have a Xbox controller for my PC but don't use it, I never got used to it. When I play a driving game, I use a Logitech G25 steering wheel, it just makes sense, and it's a natural way to play such games... and I use cockpit view, not floating halfway down the track or street magically suspended in mid air.

Even though I only game on a PC, I only buy games that have full controller support and, obviously, I only play using a controller. Last time I used mouse and keyboard to play anything was in 2010 (Dragon Age Origins).
And, regardless of the Dark Souls entire franchise being, by far, the games I've played the most, I've never come even close to throwing or even shaking a controller ( not even the Level 1 "mash all the buttons for about one second instead of shaking"). But I gotta say that I've seen plenty of people doing the triple slam.

You try teaching me how to let out steam, I will break a chair on your head, it might do the trick.

Even seen a computer flying out of a balcony? I haven't done it yet, but I can relate to that, as I've been close to that a few times, not sure what stopped me - maybe because my apartment is on the first floor, so it wouldn't be very effective.

I guess if I was forced to use one of those stupid controllers I'd have done all that to it by now but I'm not the excitable, emotional type. If a game annoys me too much, I simply stop playing it. Console controllers the most unnatural way to control a game as far as I'm concerned. Thank God for the keyboard and mouse. I do have a Xbox controller for my PC but don't use it, I never got used to it. When I play a driving game, I use a Logitech G25 steering wheel, it just makes sense, and it's a natural way to play such games...
Same here. It's obviously subjective from person to person, but many of us really don't get on well with them at all. I think I've tried on 3 separate occasions (with typically 2-3 weeks per time), but every time it ends up the same two problems 1. Nonsensical default bindings in many games (usually *ss-backwards to mice, ie, RB/RT = "left-click", poor "southpaw" support (that swaps sticks but not triggers) or the "centre" buttons on the thumbsticks themselves used for sneak / sprint, etc, just don't feel right to hold down), combined with a general lack of full controller rebinding (as you near universally can with keyboards), and 2. It's basic human physiology that the wrist has more precise fine motor control ("fast 0.2-0.3s wrist flicks vs slow 0.6-1.0s thumb scrolling" for 180 degree turns), and that shows clear as day in FPS's when auto-aim Official Cheat Mode is turned off. Hence the need for "dead zones", hitbox-size cheats "console enhancements", etc, but none on mice despite a 10-1000x higher "range" of sudden motion acceleration. Personally, I didn't throw my XB360 controller at the wall, merely gave up trying to make sense of why it's "better" in most FPS / RPG's, sold it on EBay and bought a Logitech G300 9-button mouse.

Last edited:
I've slammed my fists onto my desk and yelled obscenities, but have never thought to actually potentially damage the hardware I spent my hard earned cash on...

I guess if I was forced to use one of those stupid controllers I'd have done all that to it by now but I'm not the excitable, emotional type. If a game annoys me too much, I simply stop playing it. Console controllers the most unnatural way to control a game as far as I'm concerned. Thank God for the keyboard and mouse. I do have a Xbox controller for my PC but don't use it, I never got used to it. When I play a driving game, I use a Logitech G25 steering wheel, it just makes sense, and it's a natural way to play such games... and I use cockpit view, not floating halfway down the track or street magically suspended in mid air.
You must not play any of the Dark Souls series, unless you're a god among men who can beat the game with bongos.

Same here. It's obviously subjective from person to person, but many of us really don't get on well with them at all. I think I've tried on 3 separate occasions (with typically 2-3 weeks per time), but every time it ends up the same two problems 1. Nonsensical default bindings in many games (usually *ss-backwards to mice, ie, RB/RT = "left-click", poor "southpaw" support (that swaps sticks but not triggers) or the "centre" buttons on the thumbsticks themselves used for sneak / sprint, etc, just don't feel right to hold down), combined with a general lack of full controller rebinding (as you near universally can with keyboards), and 2. It's basic human physiology that the wrist has more precise fine motor control ("fast 0.2-0.3s wrist flicks vs slow 0.6-1.0s thumb scrolling" for 180 degree turns), and that shows clear as day in FPS's when auto-aim Official Cheat Mode is turned off. Hence the need for "dead zones", hitbox-size cheats "console enhancements", etc, but none on mice despite a 10-1000x higher "range" of sudden motion acceleration. Personally, I didn't throw my XB360 controller at the wall, merely gave up trying to make sense of why it's "better" in most FPS / RPG's, sold it on EBay and bought a Logitech G300 9-button mouse.
Yes it is subjective. I guess if I grew up using one like I did the mouse and keyboard then I'd probably have a different perspective of them. Even if I try remapping the button functions, I still get confused and forgetful, I spend more time looking at it than the game on the screen then wonder why I'm getting my a$$ kicked.

I get frustrated with games from time to time but I've never thrown a controller or thumped my keyboard in anger. I think this article refers to the "snowflake" generation who cant cope with anything that doesn't do all the thinking for them or isn't on a touchscreen. I once sold someone a wheel and pedal set and because he couldn't set it up properly he decided to smash it up anger... It was designed for pc and xbox/ps2... all he had to do was flick a switch. He came back to me asking for his money back, needless to say, I told him to get stuffed.

Well mice are point and click. Thumbsticks on the other hand pan across the screen, which isn't nearly as quick.

Well mice are point and click. Thumbsticks on the other hand pan across the screen, which isn't nearly as quick.
It depends on the game entirely. Some games are suited to different controllers than others. It's a pity games are coded for consoles first and foremost but it does make good economic sense. The good old, venerable mouse & kbd just can't be beat in most cases when you've grown accustomed to it. Well that's my case anyway.

I am much older now and I am not passionate enough about gaming to throw my controllers or smash my keyboard/mouse.

It's sort of a sad state. I never was one for throwing controllers anyway. I know my friends and relatives would get physically abusive over GoldenEye 007

Back