How to transfer files from XP to XP

I do not have an internet connection on the other PC so sharing files wouldn't work....So I need to know how to transfer files using LAN cable.....there are a lot of videos on youtube on how to transfer files form windows 7 to windows 7 but I have windows xp (on both PC) Or maybe transfer it in another way that excludes having internet connection on both PC-s..

You could do it with a 'crossover' cable. It is like an ethernet cable, but the wires on either end aren't identical.

But.. if you don't have one of those, buying one would be just as expensive as buying a USB flash drive of 4-32 gigs in size depending on where you would buy the crossover cable.

So, IMO, using a flash drive of suitable size (larger than the largest single file you will transfer) and using multiple 'trips' as necessary is the easiest way.

Some network cards or switches have auto-crossover capability in them so you could just use a straight cat5e network cable.

It's been a long time since having done that but assuming one of your two machines isn't a DHCP server, you would need to:

1) Assign IPs manually to both machines. E.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 both with subnets of 255.255.255.0.

2) Should now be able to ping each other using those addresses.

3) If you can do that, windows filesharing should work with the same addresses. E.g. \\192.168.1.1\myfileshare

To get a file share if you haven't done this in the past, there are 2 sets of security usually. NTFS file level security and the file share security.

NTFS security
Right-click the folder you want to share. Go Properties -> Security. You'll see a list of groups and users with permission levels. I usually just add read permission to the Everyone group here if it isn't there already.

File share security
As with NTFS security, you go right-click on folder then select Properties -> Sharing. Configure the share name and users you want there. Usually I'd actually use a proper account for this and not use the Everyone group.

File copying should now work via the direct addresses.

Back