TechSpot

How to turn on wifi in Lenovo G510

By abbasi
Nov 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,
    I installed Win 7 32 bit on my Lenovo G519 laptop. Now I want to use my wireless Internet but can't find the way I can turn on that laptop!!
    I tried Fn+F5 and also F5 but it's still turned off.
    How to turn on wireless in that laptop please?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Do you see any yellow (!) in the device manager?

3. abbasi

abbasi TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 307   +21

No. there isn't such a sign.

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +108

Did you download from their site all the necessary drivers (chipset this one is very important).
    This below link goes to Lenovo Support Drivers for your G510, makes sure you download them and install what you need.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/pro.../lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g510-notebook

Keep these on USB drive or zip drive or stick for save keeping. If you still have an issue check with Lenovo Support Tech and see if they're using a hidden driver?

Most do like HP and few others. Then you would need to get there Windows Recovery DVD.

abbasi likes this.
  5. abbasi

Thank you very much. I downloaded all needed drivers but the manual of that laptop says the wifi will be turned on only on win 8!
    I think the problem is that.

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +108

Like I had said, that's how they get you. The only way around that is to install a WiFi USB stick that supports Windows 7.

abbasi and Tmagic650 like this.
  7. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,234   +201

This is a widely reported issue so the drivers available on the Lenovo site clearly don't do the job. I've seen one post where running SlimDrivers utility found working drivers for the wireless card so it may be worth downloading. Otherwise there is always the option of an upgrade to Windows 8.1 which is what the laptop was designed to run..

abbasi and Tmagic650 like this.
  8. abbasi

Yes, that seems right. I don't know what the manufacturers of the Lenovo have thought when making such a laptop!.
    Anyway, thanks to all.

9. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,234   +201

It does have some great reviews.