TechSpot

How to unhide?

By Rasmey
Dec 31, 2007
  1. Some file in my removable disc was hidden (by virus, I think). When I try to unhide it by right-click->properties the hidden box was ticked and blur. I cannot untick it. What can I do to solve this problem? Please help me.

Rasmey

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

please be very specific with your problems and detailed. We don't have crystal balls here.

3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

To view hidden files and folders:

Control Panel> Folder options> View tab> check 'show hidden files and folders.'< Apply> OK,'

From within Windows Explorer or Search: Tools> Folder Options> View> check 'show hidden files and folders'> Apply> OK.

NOTE: it is recommended that the files and folders be hidden again when finished viewing to prevent accidental deletions.

4. Rasmey

Rasmey TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

Thanks for your suggestion Bobbye but it does not work in this case.
    I'll more detail now.
    I have a folder in my removable disc (flash drive). I can see that it's hidden because it's blurry (not clear as other file). I can still open it but I want to unhide it because some computer cannot view it. As it is, I try Right-Click on that folder then go to properties. Usually I can unhide it by untick (click on the hidden button at the bottom of the property box) but this time I cannot do that because that little box and the word hidden is blur and cannot be clicked. I want to know if I can do anything to get the box work again so I can unhide the folder.
    I hope I make myself clear this time and someone can tell me what to do.
    Thanks in advance.
    Rasmey

5. Bobbye

Put the flash drive on the computer> open Windows Explorer> navigate to the drive> click on Tools> Folder options> View tab> check 'show hidden files and folders'> Apply> OK.

If this does not show the files, it is possible the folder has been corrupted, possibly by a virus you mentioned. Have you run an anti-virus scan on this drive?

6. Rasmey

Rasmey TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

Yes if I do that I can view the hidden file but it will STILL be hidden. I want to unhide it permanently.
    You may be right that it's corrupted by a virus but I already scanned my computer with AVG and caught what could be caught (hopefully all).

7. Bobbye

Rasmey, hidden malware is an example in "survival of the fittest"! IF it can hide, it will. You can't prevent this process. It's part of what malware is- it will do whatever it can to remain out of the reach-or view- of the user.

You can try taking this file out of the hidden status, but I'm not sure it will remain that way: Find the '.exe file' and right click> Properties> UNCHECK 'hidden'> Apply> OK.

8. momok

momok TS Rookie Posts: 2,265

I would suggest running through the malware removal thread (the sticky at the top of the forum) if you were previously infected. Oftentimes malware are not easily cleaned out just by a scan.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.