How to view a website in mobile version

mitch04

Hi Could anyone please tell me how to view a website in mobile version on my Samsung android tablet. I need it to display exactly like my Samsung mobile with less information then what my tablet is viewing. Any Help would be much appreciate
The Reason I would like this is that on some websites that when you leave the website it will say are you sure you would like to leave. I cannot have this massage come up as this is freezing my website as I use this at the front of a kiosk so people can review while they wait. When the tablet is not being used it will go back to the homepage after 30secs however the message will keep coming up heaps of times making the tablet to freeze.

any suggestions would be greay

Thank you

Last edited:
:smile: I use Firefox and load the Extension User Agent Switcher 0.7x which has some other User Agent Strings and you can add your own.

With this tool and selecting the correct UA string, FF will perform as if the access were from that device (really cool developer tool).

HOWEVER, notice that this is FF masquerading as something else; not a tablet.
You intimate correctly that the changes in presentation are derived entirely from the host - server-side spoofing of the UA string. On the site I support, the presentations is selective in the generated html and avoids emitting large size objects, eg the jquery-xxx.js package. I also select graphic resolutions per the classification of the US -> {desktop, tablet, phone}

Tuning the site to the users device is a chore but doable and provable using the above techniques.
(btw: avoid all absolute positioning and fixed image w/h attributes.
Instead, set width=xx% and source a respectful image_resolution.{gif,png,jpg)
read-up on Graceful Degradation vs Progressive Enhancement. Don't get OCD on a precise look-alike presentation for every device, but focus on getting a USEFUL presentation with the least effort.
}

here's my list:
iPad:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B334b Safari/531.21.10)

iPhone 3
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16

Windows Phone
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0)

IE 11
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible, MSIE 11, Windows NT 6.3; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko)

IE 10
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/6.0)

IE 9
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; MSIE 9.0; WIndows NT 9.0; en-US)​

and for Andriod devices, I use the Oper Mini browser available here.

Back