How USB Works: From 'Plug and Pray' to Being Everywhere

Such a pleasure to read this article.
Congratulation again for taking us into this amazing USB journey and also make it fascinating to follow.
It has all ingredients for a delicious "hardware pie". Technical info, clear presentation, and some poetic and humor flavors.

Also you helped us to have a better and crystal clear picture of USB struggle in learning the alphabet, by adopting all those letters and numbers too "random". :)

Last edited:
I remember when PS/2 ports were the "new thing" - previously keyboards would have a 5 pin DIN (DIN - Deutsches Institut für Normung - 1950's standards) and the mouse would have been plugged into a COM port (except the Amstrad PC's used an Atari 9 pin for their mouse).

Ahhh the days of com ports, IRQ's, AT commands. (don't even get me started on writing your own config.sys or autoexec.bat files).

I remember when PS/2 ports were the "new thing" - previously keyboards would have a 5 pin DIN (DIN - Deutsches Institut für Normung - 1950's standards) and the mouse would have been plugged into a COM port (except the Amstrad PC's used an Atari 9 pin for their mouse).
Ironically, the lack of PS-2 ports stymied people trying to install Windows 7 into later mobos. (Intel 170 and up). While the mobos still had one com port, it was coded purple/green, which meant you could use a mouse or a keyboard, but not both.

So, those without a DVD drive, and using a USB drive for the install, found that the install quit, when the OS crossed over from USB 2. to USB 3.

Gigabyte boards offered a workaround, by a setting in UEFI BIOS named, "USB 3.0 hand off". This supplied USB 3.0 drivers enbedded in BIOS, then handed off control to the OS after the install was complete.

Back