How would I make a jump onto the PCI express bandwagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

.....For the least amount of money?

I currently have Pentium 4 630 socket 775
2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200 Corsair DDR dual channel mode
Geforce 6600 256MB AGP

After trying to find all possible motherboards, it turns out I am forced to abandon my beloved memory, and video card I worked so hard to get because all the newer motherboards dont use them anymore. I can, however, keep my cpu because all the next generation Core 2 duo boards support my Pentium 4, So I'm a bit happy there.

If I get this board, I can reuse my memory and save me a load of money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135023

But it has questionable quality

Anyone recommend a good solid Conroe motherboard under $100?

and DDR2 Memory brand and speed?

and a good video card under $150

This is my first time making the big expensive switch to PCI express.

Any help appreciated

I would stick with what you have for right now, I mean you have a very decent video card as it is. You would be throwing alot of memory away also.

yeah your video card is pretty good now, I got PCI and a decent video card but I'm thinking of just building a new computer anyways and getting PCI-E or getting a computer from newegg because their stuff has all the stuff I want and I could always add stuff.

wallabing said:
Anyone recommend a good solid Conroe motherboard under $100?
Not going to happen. You truly want a good chipset (Intel), dual-channel DDR2-800 memory support, and good BIOS support if you're going to spend any money.

DDR2 Memory brand and speed?
DDR2-800, Cas4 (or lower) from OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair or Crucial, and in pairs to retain dual-channel ability.

a good video card under $150
There are plenty of great videocards under $150 US for PCI-Express that would be a measurable upgrade from your 6600.
X800GTO - $105
X850XT PE - $119
X1650 Pro - $125
7600GTS - $125
6800XT - $129

Now with all that from above, I'd have to agree with other posters here. If you're planning on making the move to PCI-Express and future upgradeability, I'd wait until you can do so right and with the correct parts for best results.

You have a pretty decent system as-is right now, so I'd save your pennies for a bit then set yourself up with some quality, matched hardware.

But I really have this irresistable urge to play World of Warcraft on the highest resolution with max settings.

Get socket 939 and save your money on RAM and buy a pwnage video card. An Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 X2 are good 939 gaming processors, and you can find awesome 939 motherboards for under 80$.

wallabing said:
But I really have this irresistable urge to play World of Warcraft on the highest resolution with max settings.

You should be able to run WoW on your system on max settings... Maybe you have spyware or some other resource hogginf utilities such as NAV...

Regards,

Korrupt

You should REALLY ba alble to play WoW on full settings... You're system is faster than mine and I can at 60fps always (Vsynch). I know it says 6800 in my sig... but my 6800 is a VERY strange and VERY VERY crippled 6800. Its somewhere in the range of a 6400 if there was a such thing (like halfway between a 6200 and 6600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back