HP brings Windows 7 back 'by popular demand'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

windows hp windows 7

I know several people that haven’t yet jumped on the Windows 8 bandwagon and apparently, they aren’t alone. HP has also realized this trend and has launched a “back by popular demand” campaign in which they are bringing back Windows 7 as an option for new computers.

A quick visit to the desktop section of HP’s shopping site reveals a series of Windows 7 machines by default. The company is even offering discounts of up to $150 on select models as of writing. Of course, Windows 8 is still available but you’ll need to select it specifically when customizing the system. It would appear that HP is the only manufacturer that is now actively advertising new systems with Windows 7 by default.

It’s worth pointing out, however, that the majority of laptops on the company’s website still offer Windows 8 by default. The primary reason for this, one would suspect, has to do with the embedded touchscreens and the convertible nature of many of these newer systems.

The move isn’t entirely surprising as Windows 8 has struggled to gain market share since its launch. Some people just don’t like change from a product they are already familiar with. That said, Windows 8 is a big step forward in terms of form and function and simply put, it’s just not for everyone.

What’s more, Microsoft revealed a few weeks ago that while retail sales of Windows 7 would end on October 30, sales of new computers running the operating system don’t yet have an end date.

Permalink to story.

They really should have kept that as an option since day one of Windows 8. I understand that 8's market share would have been devastated if Windows 7 was just a button away, but I personally don't like it's Metro UI (but I'm sure I'll eventually warm up to it,) and some people just aren't ready to move on to a new OS. (My goodness, XP to 7 was apparently a huge transition, judging by my phone ringing off the hook as people upgraded.) If they saved the Metro UI for Windows 9 or 10 or something like that and gradually introduced it (perhaps making desktop icons into tiles and keeping the start menu, etc.) it would have been received much better. But that's my opinion.

When my daughter and son-in-law had to upgrade their work computers, I advised them to get Windows 7 and luckily Dell offered Win 7 machines for small businesses. WIN 8 is fine but for what they do it would have been annoying. MS should just offer WIN 8 business with the old start orb and the new UI disabled.

I dont understand why people are still bashing metro. You dont have to use it. I run 8.1 and havnt seen metro in probably a week, granted I still go into it now and then to check weather, email, etc because its convenient.

You CAN boot directly to desktop now :)

I dont understand why people are still bashing metro. You dont have to use it. I run 8.1 and havnt seen metro in probably a week, granted I still go into it now and then to check weather, email, etc because its convenient.

You CAN boot directly to desktop now :)

Unfortunately you still can't deploy it easily in a corporate environment. You have to get it through the windows store which is inaccessible in audit mode when you are setting up a generalized WIM for remote/rapid deployment.

It is still a bad choice for mid to large business use.

"Windows 8 is a big step forward in terms of form and function"

Backwards. Sideways. But not forward.

Windows 7 with my JASPER Code will improve 7 TCP/IP to match those of 8. Other than that 8 still has the same sub system housekeeping like 7. Needs to be cleaned out daily. I am glad to see HP offer 7 again as option. Hope ACER/GATEWAY follows their lead.

Well.. I like both 7 and 8, just depend on what is laptop spec.. A key of spec is touch screen! I love Windows 8 if laptop has touch screen. It's really designed that way very well. Without the touch screen, I totally hate Windows 8 and want to have Windows 7 back. I know that I can install the third party to make it works like Windows 7, but it just doesn't work for me.

It is funny because MS is admitting defeat with Windows 8. They making Windows 9 to kill the Windows 8 name (just like they did with Vista) and now HP is ditching Windows 8 for Windows 7.

Its nice they do this because im sure that will bump up there PC sales for people who did not want to buy a PC with Windows 8. Personally I could not care either way with Windows 7 and Windows 8 as I like both and they both have their pros and cons. I love Windows 8 for its efficiency and speed plus its improved 8.1 search mechanics fixed most of the issues I had originally with 8. Though 7 is just a better feel for the desktop user and I see no reason to jump my laptop up to 8.1 even though my Surface Pro and Desktop have 8.1.

HP is smart to do this.

@ricky,
I agree with you. This should have been an option from day 1. But then instead of being able to "clearly" label Windows 8 as the catastrophe that it is by way of the actual numbers, I.e., systems sold by choice, the only numbers we have are skewed because many people had to "accept" Windows 8 on the purchase of their new systems because they had no choice.

How many Windows 7 license sales have been lost over the past 2 years since this option was taken away?

*sigh* Oh well, the nightmare is almost over, I think Microsoft is finally starting to realize that the customer is always right. No matter how right you *think* you are. If the customer isn't happy with your product then you have failed.

Windows 9 will make or break Microsoft. Hopefully, they have learned that a tablet isn't the same thing as a desktop. It would be a pity to see them release Windows 9 as anything but an acknowledgement that the desktop is not dead.

I kinda hate HP right now, apparently the channels that *****s watch have these ads running we had at least 20 people come in asking for HP computers with windows 7 on them and when I told them that retail is just windows 8 still they sat there and argued with me telling me there TV said HP's have windows 7. Windows 7 hasn't gone anywhere other then off retail just as XP did and Vista did when they were replacing/replaced. Its been available on gaming and business machines since windows 8's launch. It was very evident that Microsoft made no push on windows 8 into business world and were keeping 7 there for that. Honestly 7 and 8 are so similar only *****s can't figure out how to work 8 when they have been using 7(or vista) for years, with the way 8.1 is setup its even easier. Windows 8 has something that 7 and vista never had, true customization, you can change everything about the looks and way the system performs, don't want apps uninstall them, want the apps for your windows 8 tablet keep them, change the way your start menu is organized to quickly open applications (like people did on the desktops since desktops were invented). Well thanks for listening to my mini vent, sorry if I called you a *****, just been dealing with people's inability to learn a simple change for over a year now and needed to vent.

I kinda hate HP right now, apparently the channels that *****s watch have these ads running we had at least 20 people come in asking for HP computers with windows 7 on them and when I told them that retail is just windows 8 still they sat there and argued with me telling me there TV said HP's have windows 7. Windows 7 hasn't gone anywhere other then off retail just as XP did and Vista did when they were replacing/replaced. Its been available on gaming and business machines since windows 8's launch. It was very evident that Microsoft made no push on windows 8 into business world and were keeping 7 there for that. Honestly 7 and 8 are so similar only *****s can't figure out how to work 8 when they have been using 7(or vista) for years, with the way 8.1 is setup its even easier. Windows 8 has something that 7 and vista never had, true customization, you can change everything about the looks and way the system performs, don't want apps uninstall them, want the apps for your windows 8 tablet keep them, change the way your start menu is organized to quickly open applications (like people did on the desktops since desktops were invented). Well thanks for listening to my mini vent, sorry if I called you a *****, just been dealing with people's inability to learn a simple change for over a year now and needed to vent.

Venting is fine if you must but please stick to the facts. The original Windows 8 release was not customizable like Windows 8.1 is now. You couldn't boot straight to desktop in Windows 8. People had to ***** and beg and kick and scream to get you that option. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't be enjoying it right now. So, I can accept your thanks for that.

Don't want apps...uninstall them...are you serious? That's not supposed to make me want to upgrade to Windows 8 is it? How do you uninstall the Metro UI? The reason you couldn't boot to desktop in the original Windows 8 is because Microsoft wanted to "herd" everybody into their new tablet ecosystem. Now, after months and months of people raising their voices and their concerns over the blatant disregard for consumer feedback, Microsoft has began to realize that not *everybody* is just going to bend over and drop their pants, especially businesses, I imagine. They realize their attempt to force "Windows 8" on everybody has failed. There has been way too much push back to ignore it. At first, they just ignored it. Thinking everyone would get used to it. Then they slowly started to make small compromises. That's what Windows 8.1 update should be called. The "Windows 8 compromise".

You mentioned Windows 8 tablet in your post which is not what most people have a problem with. Windows 8 on the desktop are where all the battles are raging.

Windows 8.1 has a lot of good things, but just like bills in Congress, it came with a lot of pork. They were hoping everyone would overlook the pork for the good things. That didn't go down like they had hoped.

*Patiently waiting for Windows 9, all my hard work will finally be paying off - fingers crossed* :)

Not true. The consumer version you need to download 8.1 through the store that is correct. If you work in a corporate environment then you should be aware of Microsoft Volume Licensing. We have 8 and 8.1 available as separate installations. I have my custom 8.1 install on our Windows Deployment Server.

Venting is fine if you must but please stick to the facts. The original Windows 8 release was not customizable like Windows 8.1 is now. You couldn't boot straight to desktop in Windows 8. People had to ***** and beg and kick and scream to get you that option. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't be enjoying it right now. So, I can accept your thanks for that.

Don't want apps...uninstall them...are you serious? That's not supposed to make me want to upgrade to Windows 8 is it? How do you uninstall the Metro UI? The reason you couldn't boot to desktop in the original Windows 8 is because Microsoft wanted to "herd" everybody into their new tablet ecosystem. Now, after months and months of people raising their voices and their concerns over the blatant disregard for consumer feedback, Microsoft has began to realize that not *everybody* is just going to bend over and drop their pants, especially businesses, I imagine. They realize their attempt to force "Windows 8" on everybody has failed. There has been way too much push back to ignore it. At first, they just ignored it. Thinking everyone would get used to it. Then they slowly started to make small compromises. That's what Windows 8.1 update should be called. The "Windows 8 compromise".

You mentioned Windows 8 tablet in your post which is not what most people have a problem with. Windows 8 on the desktop are where all the battles are raging.

Windows 8.1 has a lot of good things, but just like bills in Congress, it came with a lot of pork. They were hoping everyone would overlook the pork for the good things. That didn't go down like they had hoped.

*Patiently waiting for Windows 9, all my hard work will finally be paying off - fingers crossed* :)

The customization I spoke of was within the "modern UI" (hasn't been called metro since beta) , with the start screen the way it is in 8 or 8.1 you can completely customize what is displayed and where you want it leaving the desktop free to do what it was originally designed to do, be your workspace, not your program and file storage/launch. I mentioned uninstalling the apps because I get a lot of people in who don't want windows 8 because of the apps. Having the ability to uninstall them and clean up the start page is nice for a lot of them, makes the system much less confusing because they 're not running apps and programs at the same time. I honestly just can't see the hate behind windows 8 from everyone it was a fine operating system when it came and still is to this day. I can't think of any other OS that you can use on not only a desktop/laptop but also a tablet or a cellphone (though no one releases full windows 8 phones in the US yet) and have it work so well across all 3 platforms, will there be compromises? of course. I think it adapts well to the ever changing market that Microsoft is now finally trying to adapt into, to see where the majority are heading.

Smartest thing I think I've ever seen from the likes of HP, but it will screw over a lot of retail stores who carry retail clones with Win 8 on them. Looks like Windows 8 is shaping up to be the Sensonic clutch of the PC world, which is the most apt way I can describe why I dislike Windows 8. Funny how this still bothers people, someone not liking Windows 8, oh no what will you do!?

My company just bought a slew of Lenovo computers a month ago, and we refused to buy them unless they had Win 7 Pro on them. Lenovo has been gladly "downgrading" to Win 7 this whole time, apparently. Mostly because they actually pay attention and understand their enterprise/corporate customer base.

The thing is, though... We looked at HP, and could buy computers with Win 7 Pro. We just had to ask for it, like the Lenovo ones. What has changed with HP is that they are making 8 the special order, and sticking with the more popular 7 as the standard. Basically just looking at their sales and requests and inferring what their customers want most.

My company just bought a slew of Lenovo computers a month ago, and we refused to buy them unless they had Win 7 Pro on them. Lenovo has been gladly "downgrading" to Win 7 this whole time, apparently. Mostly because they actually pay attention and understand their enterprise/corporate customer base.

The thing is, though... We looked at HP, and could buy computers with Win 7 Pro. We just had to ask for it, like the Lenovo ones. What has changed with HP is that they are making 8 the special order, and sticking with the more popular 7 as the standard. Basically just looking at their sales and requests and inferring what their customers want most.

Actually HP Business series PC has had Win7 installed on it all along. Although the COA says Win8 the Win7 downgrade had been automatic for us. All the HP business series machines threw in both sets of discs.

But yes, for the consumer side this is exactly what they are now doing.

Windows 8 may be partly to blame for the decline of desktop sales. This is certainly a good way to test that theory. Obviously, after a certain period of time, there should b e enough data to establish a positive or negative correlation between the two..

In other news, I have always envisioned Bill Gates constantly banging heads with Steve Ballmer, getting fed up with it, retiring to watch Mr. Ballmer run his business into the ground, and laughing all the way to the bank about it....;)

I completely agree with this statement. On my touchscreen Toshiba satellite using the app toggle interface is a breeze. It is just a easy swipe to the left or right, and it is very quick and not time consuming at all. On the other hand... I was using one of my friends laptops (Non-Touchscreen) that was just updated to windows 8.1 and trying to scroll through the app interface causes a lot of non-responsive issues. You have to keep on doing the same gesture multiple times before it will actually work and it becomes very irritating. If they would fix the "FLOW" on Non-touchscreen screen computers, then I believe windows 8/8.1 will be much more beneficial and in doing so would create a larger market of users.
Well.. I like both 7 and 8, just depend on what is laptop spec.. A key of spec is touch screen! I love Windows 8 if laptop has touch screen. It's really designed that way very well. Without the touch screen, I totally hate Windows 8 and want to have Windows 7 back. I know that I can install the third party to make it works like Windows 7, but it just doesn't work for me.

JcDude said:
If they would fix the "FLOW" on Non-touchscreen screen computers, then I believe windows 8/8.1 will be much more beneficial and in doing so would create a larger market of users.
It's too late for Windows 8/8.1, IMO. It already has too bad of a rep. Fix it in Windows 9 and move on.

I completely agree with this statement. On my touchscreen Toshiba satellite using the app toggle interface is a breeze. It is just a easy swipe to the left or right, and it is very quick and not time consuming at all. On the other hand... I was using one of my friends laptops (Non-Touchscreen) that was just updated to windows 8.1 and trying to scroll through the app interface causes a lot of non-responsive issues. You have to keep on doing the same gesture multiple times before it will actually work and it becomes very irritating. If they would fix the "FLOW" on Non-touchscreen screen computers, then I believe windows 8/8.1 will be much more beneficial and in doing so would create a larger market of users.
Flow problems? Have you heard of a little thing called the scroll wheel on a mouse? I use Windows 8.1 on an Eyefinity setup of 3 screens. I only turn on Eyefinity when I play games, but otherwise I have the start screen appear on which ever screen I clicked the start button on. 8.1 works surprisingly well on multiple monitors, provided Eyefinity isn't turned on, of course, but that's a problem with AMD's implementation of it and drivers, not really anything Microsoft has control over. Flow wise, never had a problem, so no idea what you are talking about. I also have no apps installed, was never a person that enjoys installing millions of apps especially on my phone as I am still a firm believer that anything done on your phone can be done much infinitely better on your pc, besides it takes all of 15 seconds to turn on your PC, provided you are within reach of it, but then there is that much unloved laptop sitting there by its lonesome which could be booted up to do some real work. The way I've adapted to 8.1 is to use the start screen as a place to put all the applications I don't use regularly. For everything else, it goes on the taskbar. Even when I was using Windows 7 I hardly ever ventured into all programs, and typing the name of the application into search brought it up anyways. Windows 8 has exactly the same, although admittedly improved extensively in 8.1, which was a free update anyways so no harm done. Ultimately, it was inconvenient to use Windows 8 for all of maybe 10 minutes before I became accustomed to it, and customized it to how I wanted it to work.

It's too late for Windows 8/8.1, IMO. It already has too bad of a rep. Fix it in Windows 9 and move on.
I agree, Microsoft has received way too much backlash on something like this for Windows 8 to be perceived as anything but mediocre. unfortunately, most people don't like change and we are in the middle of that change. No doubt, any big changes have the accompanying teething problems, just see all the people complaining about the minor changes made so far to Windows. The only real change made was to the start menu, the rest of the OS is largely just an improved/enhanced version of what came before, or as we say in programming, an incremental improvement. The next update to Windows will bring even more optimisations, before the inevitable release of Windows 9. 9 will probably still contain various elements of 8 but probably with an option for the classic start menu, if rumours hold true. I won't purchase 9, or at least not until I've had 8 for 5 years, and honestly I cant say I'm too bothered with that decision as 8 has served me well and probably will do so for the remainder of those 5 years.

Say what you will about Windows 8, but it was an OS that needed to be released. Microsoft needed an entry into the, in my opinion, waste of space app market that is so popular on Android and IOS. So they made this first, controversial, bid but the next version should be vastly better, with the current version being bridged with updates until that next version lands.

Back