Hp dv4000 laptop wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an hp pavillion dv4000 laptop that wont turn on. the laptop was sitting on a coffee table plugged in. my girlfriend tripped on the cord and laptop fell onto carpet. next time i used it, it was working fine. i was using it while it was plugged in. the low battery message appeared as if it wasnt plugged in even though it was. then it died and wouldnt restart. i brought the power cord to circuit city where they plugged it into another laptop. power cord worked fine. i removed the battery and plugged it in, nothing worked. I am not sure what to do next. i never had any problems with it before. oh ya the power indicator light on front of computer doesnt come on at all. please help!!

Try reseating the hard drive and the memory... You might have broken the DC jack (where the AC adapter plugs into the laptop) Dropping a laptop on anything is never good!

dv4000 is the product number. On the bottom you will find the part number and serial number. What are these? There will be a manual available on the HP support site that can give you the location of these parts. I really think that you have damaged the DC jack. It is soldered to the motherboard, and this will take a computer tech to replace

Is the jack loose, does it wiggle? Can you move the AC cord around and get the lights to turn on at all?

Something either broke loose or is jarred. Reseat your HD connection. It is also possible you have broken or loose internal components. If reseating the HD doesn't work, you will need to take it to a shop.

HP provides service manuals in PDF format that identifies hard drive and memory locations, and how to access them. Camaropep needs to proviide the exact model number and serial number so that we can locate the manual for him. I have an HP dv5000. It's actual model is dv5242nr, part number EZ533UA#ABA. This info is on the Service Tag on the bottom of the notebook... Are we getting the idea now?

thankyou very much for the manual. i dissassembled the notebook so that i could remove the motherboard. i inspected the solder connections between the power cord jack and the board, nothing appears broken or burnt. also i did not find any loose components during the dissassembly. i am out of ideas at this point, do you have any others or should i just give up. thanks again for all your help tmajik650

camaropep, well you can dig it more deep if you arm yourself with volt-meter and tell me if there any voltage at power button(should be 3.3v). you can do it, if you have according skills in microelectronics. also try to find on the MB 5v, 3,3v, check the voltage on quartz oscillators near southbridge and KBC controller.

thankyou all for your help. i found the problem, i was about to replace the motherboard before i found that the metal tab that contacts the outside of the power cable was bent back and not touching the connector. thanks again and remember, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!! (i mean me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back