HP DV900 laptop crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, This is my first post but have found answers to some difficult questions on this sites forum. I am stumed on this one though. I recently bought a HPdv900. My teenager who thinks he is a computer genius was playing around in my bios and locked it. He cant recall the password. I have not had this laptop for long and I am frustrated and concerned I have a shiny paperweight. I know a friend with a dell who did something on the motherboard and one of the cproms but I have searched and found nothing like that for this model of computer. PLEASE PLEASE I know there is a genius lurking out there Thanks

reseting the board.

Im not exactly sure about HP. but most motherboards have a way to reset the bios.
I Dont know if you are familiar with jumpers. Jumpers are little (3 pin or 4 pin) conectors. If you will look at the back of your hard drive you will see a jumper to set to tell the computer if the drive is MASTER, SLAVE, or CABLE SELECT. This will help you identify what one looks like. You have to know how to take apart your lab top to expose the mother board. Proceed with caution. If you dont know alittle bit about working on computers and taking them apart, I advise you find someone who can.

The next step is to disconnect power from the computer. Also take the battery out. open up the computer and look around for the jumper. If its a four pin jummper and lets say the jumper was on 1 and 2. Than move it to 3 and 4 and than back to 1 and 2. If its a 3 pin jumper and lets say it was on 1 and 2 than move it to 2 and 3 and than back to 1 and 2. Thats it. put the computer back together and try it out. Your bios should go back to its default settings. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back