HP Envy x2 Review: The First Snapdragon 835 Windows Device

While this is a nice review, I am quite puzzled as to why the MS Surface (or the Eve V) doesn't feature in any of the benchmarks...

Yet in the conclusion, we have this..

"HP is effectively going head-to-head with similar products like the Microsoft Surface Pro and the Eve V, which offer full Intel Core processors and consequently much better performance in an equivalent form factor."

So could we please add them to the benchmarks?

While I don't think this is a great option for anyone doing content creation type work, it's not bad for most typical business users. It will be interesting to see how performance changes as the emulation matures and 64-bit support is released. A native Chrome browser (which shouldn't be hard considering there is already a native Chrome browser on the same hardware for Android) could change things drastically.

The typical office user uses Outlook, Word, the browser and Excel to view (not run a ton a scripts) spreadsheets. In that use case, the battery life and connectivity are really nice.

You guys nailed it on the price. This price is too high for this.

Nvidia could try to enter here with custom ARM cores and GeForce graphics. That could make the "Windows on ARM" market, much more interesting.

While this is a nice review, I am quite puzzled as to why the MS Surface (or the Eve V) doesn't feature in any of the benchmarks...

Yet in the conclusion, we have this..

"HP is effectively going head-to-head with similar products like the Microsoft Surface Pro and the Eve V, which offer full Intel Core processors and consequently much better performance in an equivalent form factor."

So could we please add them to the benchmarks?

The reviewer does link these products in question. There is PLENTY of benchmarks out there for the MS Surface Pro and then the link to the Eve V is to a review so not sure why it is so difficult to do a little legwork and check out the links?

$1,000? HAHAHAH. You can get a lot of laptop or a pretty decent tablet/2 in 1 for $500. As well designed as this is, it would have to priced around $300 to make it competitive with your average Chromebook. Because performance-wise, that's what it competes with, entry level Chromebooks.

The reviewer does link these products in question. There is PLENTY of benchmarks out there for the MS Surface Pro and then the link to the Eve V is to a review so not sure why it is so difficult to do a little legwork and check out the links?
Well yes... but then, there are links and benchmarks for everything... the POINT of a review is to have all of this info in one place! Since the review itself mentions the Surface and the Eve as the main rivals of this device, it really should have both of them included in its benchmarks!

It kind of looks like the reviewer simply took the devices they had on hand and just posted benchmarks... I mean, why are we comparing this device to 2 different Dell XPS laptops and the Google Pixel 2 Smartphone?!?! This is a tablet... it should be compared to some other TABLETS.... I understand having a smartphone and a laptop AS WELL - it could provide an interesting reference point - but I would have preferred a comparison with other Windows Tablets...

As a road warrior, this is almost the device I've been dreaming of. I've had my HP Envy X2 for a week now and have used it in a variety of contexts. Here's where it absolutely shines for a business user or road warrior; battery life and always-on connectivity.

I attended a conference last Wednesday. It was your typical medium-sized affair in a local hotel ballroom. The hotel WiFi was horrible and flaky all day, but I was happy as a clam with my 4 bars of LTE goodness. I was on my Envy X2 for more than 9 hours doing Outlook (full desktop application) email, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Skype & Zoom calls. When I got home, I still had 45% battery. That meant that I was able to go all day without carrying my computer bag with power supply and all my other crap. Nope...I was traveling light and free with a stylish 2-in-1 that satisfied my computing and communication needs with almost no compromises. Is it slower than my MacBook Pro or my Lenovo T470? Sure is. Does it suck when using Chrome? Oh yes! But you know what...Edge is just fine and with my True Key password keeper, it's better than fine.

When you compare the other alternative that rivals the Envy X2 in portability, build quality, LTE, and battery life (an iPad Pro with keyboard folio and pen), spending $1,000 is not bad. And you still get a (nearly) full Windows 10 experience and better-than-all-day power.

The 2nd wave of Qualcomm-powered Windows on ARM devices will correct many of the flaws and then you will see these devices all over the enterprise.

Bravo, Qualcomm and HP.

As a road warrior, this is almost the device I've been dreaming of. I've had my HP Envy X2 for a week now and have used it in a variety of contexts. Here's where it absolutely shines for a business user or road warrior; battery life and always-on connectivity.

I attended a conference last Wednesday. It was your typical medium-sized affair in a local hotel ballroom. The hotel WiFi was horrible and flaky all day, but I was happy as a clam with my 4 bars of LTE goodness. I was on my Envy X2 for more than 9 hours doing Outlook (full desktop application) email, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Skype & Zoom calls. When I got home, I still had 45% battery. That meant that I was able to go all day without carrying my computer bag with power supply and all my other crap. Nope...I was traveling light and free with a stylish 2-in-1 that satisfied my computing and communication needs with almost no compromises. Is it slower than my MacBook Pro or my Lenovo T470? Sure is. Does it suck when using Chrome? Oh yes! But you know what...Edge is just fine and with my True Key password keeper, it's better than fine.

When you compare the other alternative that rivals the Envy X2 in portability, build quality, LTE, and battery life (an iPad Pro with keyboard folio and pen), spending $1,000 is not bad. And you still get a (nearly) full Windows 10 experience and better-than-all-day power.

The 2nd wave of Qualcomm-powered Windows on ARM devices will correct many of the flaws and then you will see these devices all over the enterprise.

Bravo, Qualcomm and HP.
Or.... you could get an Eve V starting at $800.... for the saving in price, buy an LTE dongle.... or do what almost everyone else does and tether it to your smartphone... Hard to recommend this (the reviewer certainly doesn't) for $1000... you can get so much more elsewhere!

$1000 for bottom-line performance?

Why are system configurations locked to certain regions? Why can't the buyers in US buy the 8GB+256GB within US?

I wouldn't have minded seeing a comparison to the non-Pro Surface 3 and its Atom Z8700. At nearly 3 years old, I suspect it's got a lot in common with this Envy-X2, including its build quality vs. internal specs.

No surprise with the results. Emulation is only effective for older simpler technology. Running Android on an x86 emulating ARM would likely yield the same results. Native operating systems are already pushing the limits of the hardware they are designed for. Linux is king here for it's cross-platform compatibility.

Knowing it is on ARM I failed to see why techspot would waste graph space with too many i7s. I would really like to see more comparison to i3 and i5, the U or other variants. Or celerons and pentiums and atoms.

People who have $1000 to burn in laptop and need powaaahhhh will never consider this kind of hybrid. Certainly this is a niche product.

Well yes... but then, there are links and benchmarks for everything... the POINT of a review is to have all of this info in one place! Since the review itself mentions the Surface and the Eve as the main rivals of this device, it really should have both of them included in its benchmarks!

It kind of looks like the reviewer simply took the devices they had on hand and just posted benchmarks... I mean, why are we comparing this device to 2 different Dell XPS laptops and the Google Pixel 2 Smartphone?!?! This is a tablet... it should be compared to some other TABLETS.... I understand having a smartphone and a laptop AS WELL - it could provide an interesting reference point - but I would have preferred a comparison with other Windows Tablets...

To me it is just indicative of laziness. The reviewer provides the links. I am sure that you will respond with a touche moment saying that it is laziness on the reviewer's part to not include the information however I would then counter that this type of attitude just continues to perpetuate the image of today's society wanting every single thing spoon fed.

Bravo, Qualcomm and HP.
Or.... you could get an Eve V starting at $800.... for the saving in price, buy an LTE dongle.... or do what almost everyone else does and tether it to your smartphone... Hard to recommend this (the reviewer certainly doesn't) for $1000... you can get so much more elsewhere!

I could buy a lot of alternatives, none of which have 20+ hours of battery life (or even 10 hours of real use) or LTE built in except the iPad Pro (which similarly configured would cost me almost $1400). And with an iPad Pro, I end up with a terrible typing experience, no trackpad or mouse support, and a subpar MS Office experience for content creation. For me (and a lot of other road warriors) it comes down to a "good enough" computing experience in a lightweight, super-efficient and convenient package. I still think they will sell a ton of these 1st generation devices and the 2nd wave will be a break-out category.

To me it is just indicative of laziness. The reviewer provides the links. I am sure that you will respond with a touche moment saying that it is laziness on the reviewer's part to not include the information however I would then counter that this type of attitude just continues to perpetuate the image of today's society wanting every single thing spoon fed.
Are you kidding me?!?!!? I'm not talking about being too lazy to follow links.... This review comes with a bunch of charts / graphs... but the comparisons are NOT the actual competitors to this device!! It's not being lazy to ask that the devices included in the graphs actually be relevant to the reviewed item!!

If I were reviewing a new power laptop (like the Asus ROG one, with a 1070 or 1080 included) and showed a graph with it destroying the Google Pixel smartphone, you'd rightly call me out for saying "why on Earth did you bother putting the Pixel in your graph?!?! Of course the ROG is going to clobber it!"

If you look at most of the hardware reviews on this site, the charts usually include hardware that is directly comparable - so tablet reviews include other tablets in their charts/graphs. They might include a laptop as well as a reference point, but only 1-2 at most... That there are numerous laptops (including TWO Dell XPS laptops!!) in these graphs tells me that the reviewer simply took what hardware they had on hand...

This is a Windows tablet.... there really needs to be other Windows tablets in the graphs!! I don't think this is too much to ask... The article mentions the Surface and Eve as direct competitors.... so a proper review would include those devices in its graphs!

I could buy a lot of alternatives, none of which have 20+ hours of battery life (or even 10 hours of real use) or LTE built in except the iPad Pro (which similarly configured would cost me almost $1400). And with an iPad Pro, I end up with a terrible typing experience, no trackpad or mouse support, and a subpar MS Office experience for content creation. For me (and a lot of other road warriors) it comes down to a "good enough" computing experience in a lightweight, super-efficient and convenient package. I still think they will sell a ton of these 1st generation devices and the 2nd wave will be a break-out category.

Read above.... but the direct competitor to this would be an Eve.... for the DRAMATICALLY cheaper price difference (and far superior performance), simply buy an LTE dongle and you have a superior device to this.

I'm not saying these won't sell... they probably will... and as they get faster (Snapdragon will continue to get better year after year) they might even become viable... The thing is, the only thing that differentiates these from other tablets is their built-in LTE.... and that won't remain exclusive for long - certainly not if these become successful.

And once I can buy an Eve or Surface (or any other tablet) that runs on a "real" CPU for the same or cheaper, why would I spring for this?!?

Are you kidding me?!?!!? I'm not talking about being too lazy to follow links.... This review comes with a bunch of charts / graphs... but the comparisons are NOT the actual competitors to this device!! It's not being lazy to ask that the devices included in the graphs actually be relevant to the reviewed item!!

If I were reviewing a new power laptop (like the Asus ROG one, with a 1070 or 1080 included) and showed a graph with it destroying the Google Pixel smartphone, you'd rightly call me out for saying "why on Earth did you bother putting the Pixel in your graph?!?! Of course the ROG is going to clobber it!"

If you look at most of the hardware reviews on this site, the charts usually include hardware that is directly comparable - so tablet reviews include other tablets in their charts/graphs. They might include a laptop as well as a reference point, but only 1-2 at most... That there are numerous laptops (including TWO Dell XPS laptops!!) in these graphs tells me that the reviewer simply took what hardware they had on hand...

This is a Windows tablet.... there really needs to be other Windows tablets in the graphs!! I don't think this is too much to ask... The article mentions the Surface and Eve as direct competitors.... so a proper review would include those devices in its graphs!

Read above.... but the direct competitor to this would be an Eve.... for the DRAMATICALLY cheaper price difference (and far superior performance), simply buy an LTE dongle and you have a superior device to this.

I'm not saying these won't sell... they probably will... and as they get faster (Snapdragon will continue to get better year after year) they might even become viable... The thing is, the only thing that differentiates these from other tablets is their built-in LTE.... and that won't remain exclusive for long - certainly not if these become successful.

And once I can buy an Eve or Surface (or any other tablet) that runs on a "real" CPU for the same or cheaper, why would I spring for this?!?

Nitpicking in my book honestly. Personally I would never rely on a single site or review to make a determination in a purchase because it will always have bias in some form. A responsible person would take a look at a review, take a look at reviews of what that site is citing as competitors, etc be they on the same site and also on multiple others. The only portal that I see as coming close to providing as solid reviews as possible is AnandTech, but just like everything else that is an opinion. Complaining about the article itself to me just symbolizes a "look at me and how I am so much smarter and could do your job so much better" mentality.

/out

Nitpicking in my book honestly. Personally I would never rely on a single site or review to make a determination in a purchase because it will always have bias in some form. A responsible person would take a look at a review, take a look at reviews of what that site is citing as competitors, etc be they on the same site and also on multiple others. The only portal that I see as coming close to providing as solid reviews as possible is AnandTech, but just like everything else that is an opinion. Complaining about the article itself to me just symbolizes a "look at me and how I am so much smarter and could do your job so much better" mentality.

/out
OK, so basically you're just trolling... fine...

I was NOT talking about whether I wanted to actually make a purchasing decision... I already have a nice tablet and am not in the market for another... This is an article, however, on a specific tablet. I expect such an article to address its main rivals - and it does! But the flaw is simply that when it gives its graphs, it fails to mention them. This is clearly a problem! I'm assuming that the reviewer simply didn't have these devices handy - but they SHOULD have included the stats (which as you say, can be easily found elsewhere) and added them to the graphs.

Back