HP intros business-focused Slate 500, priced at $800

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

First unveiled at CES in January, HP's Windows 7 tablet has had a bumpy year of delays and rumored cancellations, but the device is finally racing toward reality. The "Slate 500" has shifted away from the consumer market and is designed specifically for business users that demand the mobility of a tablet with the familiarity and functionality of Windows 7 -- as opposed to say, iOS or Android.

The device carries an 8.9-inch 1024x600 multitouch display with a pen digitizer, a 1.86GHz Intel Atom Z540, 2GB of RAM, a 64GB SSD, Intel GMA 500 graphics with a Broadcom Crystal HD accelerator, front and back-mounted cameras, a two-cell battery (no runtime estimates), and Windows 7 Professional. Connectivity includes one USB 2.0 port, 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth, and an SD card reader.

Altogether, the Slate 500 measures 5.91 x 9.21 x 0.58 inches and weighs 1.5lbs (0.68kg). We haven't seen an exact release date, but it seems to be pretty dang close. It's supposed to ship in the US first, and depending on its success, HP might offer it in other regions. Pricing is set at $800, which includes the HP Slate Digital Pen, Dock, and Portfolio. If interested, you can sign up for updates here.

Permalink to story.

Finally, I want to see how these things hold up running Windows 7.

IMO MS should design a stripped down version of the OS for tablet. Retain its functionality and compatibility with regular Windows, but cut out all the crap that is clearly not needed for a tablet. I have a genuine worry that the OS will be too much for a tablet, but hopefully processors have matured enough for that not to be an issue.

But I wonder if a lot of Windows tablet manufacturers are waiting until next years crop of hardware until they release tablet powerful enough to be able to accmplish this. But I guess they can't wait too long lest other companies take away market share.

lawfer said:
It's going to suck. Windows 7 for tablet is as useless as Linux for gaming.

Not really,

Tablets use SSD's, Quick load times and the Atom happily handles windows 7 plus a gig or 2 of RAM and really thats all you need.

Touch-based user interaction is the number one concern on a Windows 7 tablet. Battery life is second. Considering the iPad starts at $500 (admittedly with far less features), pricing has to be third.

seems nice. I like tablet concepts since the convertible and digipen era, but it always cost a fortune. ipad seems nice but my fav application and games only run in Windows. if slate is good enough, i can end up using one.

however, a mediocre battery life will definitely put me off.

burty117 said:
lawfer said:
It's going to suck. Windows 7 for tablet is as useless as Linux for gaming.

Not really,

Tablets use SSD's, Quick load times and the Atom happily handles windows 7 plus a gig or 2 of RAM and really thats all you need.

It's not about performance. It's about the GUI. Windows 7 is simply not designed for a touchscreen-based tablet.

Actually spec's look good from here, awaiting tester reviews on performance though, but what I may actually be disappointed in (the alternative to the iPad) is that they have not specified the SIM card slot. What happened to mobility? But nonetheless google rumours there is an optional modem, here's hoping that it's internal and i don't need to plug a wireless broadband USB in to get online?

Anyone able to put this question to bed?

I don't know why they are targeting the corporate market when they could have easily gone towards the consumer market. It would have brought in far more customers. But I guess this is part of a broader strategy.

Back