HP laptop constantly drops wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Netgear WGR614v.5 wireless router connected to my Quest DSL internet connection. My HP Pavilion laptop has problems connecting if it is not sitting in the same room as the router. The built in wireless card (Broadcom) will not see the network at all once it is in another room and the card I bought (D-Link) will pick up a connection in various places in the house, but will drop the connection if the computer gets moved my even an inch, sometimes less. It's extremely eratic. Both cards are included in my list of approved MAC addresses, and have the correct WEP password. There are three other laptops (Dell, Tosiba, Apple) that belong to family members or friends that have no problem connecting at all. The network signal is strong throughout the house. The settings on my HP are all equivalent to the settings on the compters that work, so I'm can't figure out why I can't connect. Anyone have an idea?

Hi, did you try without the MAC filter, I had the same problem with my Linksys router and my Dell Inspirion. I disabled MAC filteringand it's working fine.

Yeah... even with the MAC filtering turned off, it's still spotty throughout the house.

I just changed the channel that the router is broadcasting on from 11 to 08. It seems to help a little. I'm going to give it some time and see what happens. Hopefully that works.

if changing the channel helped at all, it is likely an interference issue, might try another channel, try 6(usually the default) or 1. Might also want to look for other 2.4GHz devices like cordless phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back