hp laptop display problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very odd display problem with my hp zd7000 laptop. For the last month or so whenever I go to turn it on I can hear it boot up into windows but no display. Usually if I turn the computer off and on a few times the display will fire up. Now not even that works.

Heres what Ive found out so far:
External monitor works
checked all connections from display to main board (whenever I did get it to come on it would stay on even if I shook it, so I know nothings loose)
When I have external monitor hooked up and use the key to switch to laptop display nothing happens, not even a backlight
if I turn on computer with NO hard drive and do the same thing I get a backlight but nothing else
checked the switch which turns off the display when you close the lid

Anyone have any ideas? Could this be software related?

Not likely its software related as no software is loaded when you first power on your computer, with the exception of BIOS. Given that, check if there's a BIOS update for your system. If the lid switch is working fine, then you may need to replace your display.

hp zd7000 laptop

I will bet your problem lies with the lid switch. It would seem that HP tried to save a few bucks and bought the cheapest lid switches possible. They fail early. Try locating the lidswitch near one of the hinges on the laptop and jiggeling it with your finger while the laptop is booting up. If your screen comes on or flickers the the lidswitch is most likely the problem. Good luck finding a replacement switch. I know they are available but for the life of me I can't find a part number anywhere on the HP site.

I too have bn facing the similar problem with my HP laptop, though it is a DV5242EA. Yes, I completely agree with the entry above, that it indeed is a problem with the lid. Minor arrangements in the lid do set things right, but I guess we deserve a replacement from HP for it. I spoke to the service centre. I too was asked to try out those drivers and stuff. But I specified that the laptop has no problems with an external display.

I have been asked to send it to the place of purchase to get an appropriate part replacement since it is under warranty. You should try your luck too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back