HP laptop fans keep breaking

Initial problem, daughters computer shut itself down. She said it had been feeling hot and the fan had been making noise so this was assumed to be the problem. It had never been cleaned, it's several years old. Took it apart, cleaned the very dirty fan, and put everything back together. Everything else looks fine. Upon boot get an error screen saying the fan isn't working, but it lets me continue anyway. It sounds like it's trying to kick on but failing.

Take it back apart, make sure everything was assembled right, fan does smell kinda burnt but everything else looks good. Put it back together, same error upon restart. Assume the fan is just fried, shut down the computer, order a new fan. Actually my spouse ordered it, so I do not have the specific description but it was worth waiting for it to come all the way from china because it was brand new, not used, etc...ordered by part number.

New fan finally came today. Checked the part number installed it, booted computer. No error. Continued boot and the fan came on. Daughter took it back to her room. A few hours later it felt hot and the fan wasn't coming on. It was on a hard, open surface. Had her restart it, and got the error message that the fan wasn't working, again. So we're back at square one. My best guesses are 1. We got a crap fan. Could happen right? 2. Something in the motherboard is bad and shorting out the fan.

I ordered another fan already because I didn't trust the first to actually arrive, so it should be here in a few days as it's only coming from Illinois, not China. If it also breaks in less than a day that will rule out bad luck. Even my luck isn't that bad I figure. So my question is, could it be anything other than a bad motherboard at that point? Trying to prepare myself here! Thank you in advance.

I understand that you have a noisy fan

Adjust the power settings to decrease power consumption, which can help the fans maintain an optimal internal temperature up to 30° C (86° F).
  1. Turn on the computer.
  2. In Windows, search for and open Control panel.
  3. In the Control Panel search field, type power options, and then select Power Options from the list.
  4. Click Change plan settings.
  5. Click Change advanced power settings.

6. Click the drop-down menu, and then select Power saver.

7. Select Sleep from the list, and then click Sleep after and Hibernate after to open each setting.
  8. Decrease the amount of time for each setting to reduce unnecessary strain on the fans when the computer is not being used
  9. Click OK to save the changes.
  10. Restart the computer.

Regards,
Adrian

Back